Water Tank Ideas

Patio29Dadio

Looking for insulated water tank options for my closed-loop system.  Need 350-550 gallon tanks - one for hot water coming from the condensers that will be used for mashing and the other to hold water that is chilled to 50 degrees F or so overnight with my glycol chiller... so both are ready to go for the next day of production.

Insulated hot water tanks (generally with an internal glass tank) are expensive and need engineering per my local city building official flexing his tiny muscles. 

Custom-made insulated stainless tanks are also expensive (I bet) and would require engineering (I know).

Insulated poly tanks look like crap (IMHO), and again, if tall and narrow will require engineering (we have some earthquake shaking in my neck of the wood-less woods.)  And if fat and short they don't fit in my space.

Note, I will be doing tours and care what the tank room looks like. 

IBC totes don't need engineering as they are fork-liftable (got tiny muscles to agree).  Thinking of putting a pretty insulation jacket around a couple of 550 G IBC stainless totes for my hot and cold water tanks. 

Just interested in other's ideas on this fascinating topic!

12 hours ago, Patio29Dadio said:

nsulated poly tanks look like crap (IMHO), and again, if tall and narrow will require engineering (we have some earthquake shaking in my neck of the wood-less woods.)  And if fat and short they don't fit in my space.

By one online, add whatever bulkhead fittings you want, spray foam it yourself, and, if you feel you must, build an enclosure. On the grand scheme of things 500 is tiny. Our reservoir is 2500 gallons. It sits outside and looks like total crap. We call it the Mr. Marshmallow. 

We call it the Mr. Marshmallow.

Exactly what I don't want... a mini marshmallow!

Zero Bulk Milk Tanks.

Interesting.  These are all horizontal tanks, right?  Probably don't have the floor space.  The stainless IBU totes are compelling because I can stack them and continue to make the case that they are forklift (non-permanent) tanks.  The building official is obsessed with any piece of equipment that isn't portable needing engineering and permits... probably adding another $4k to the cost.

However, when I look for insulation blanket for the totes, they start to look a bit like a square marshmallow... so maybe insulated poly is the answer.  Probably no way around the engineering and permit requirement.  Tiny muscles wins again!

Just got a quote from the good people at National Tank Outlet (yes, they work weekends!) for a 550G Food Grade Stainless IBC tote with 2" polyurethane foam with a latex mastic protective coating.   Less than $5k each.   I think two of those will do the trick... much more than poly tanks, but will stay useful equipment even if we expand in the future to need larger tanks.  I can stack these too... which saves floor space.

• 3 weeks later...

Once you get to the larger tanks, 5000 gal or so, horizontal steel tanks are generally the way to go, but I have seen indoor 5000 gal poly tanks.

Seems to be more and more common to see multiple tanks, equalized or controlled with solenoids to toggle back and forth, especially if running multiple mash runs/day pr mash runs and stripping runs daily.

Shipping a 2500 gal like one pictured to IL with 40 HP chiller located on the roof.  Tank is located below chiller with both process and circulating pumps. Pumps are run by subpanel at the pump/tanks station.

If you can find a used dairy tank, I have clients that have used them successfully.