ADI Forums
indyspirits

Grounded Fermenters?

We're getting pushback from our insurance carrier that our fermenters should be bonded to our facilitiy's ground loop. Has anyone else been asked to do that?   

our stills and mash tun are grounded but thats just because our son and partner is an electrician . the stills makes sense to me and the mash tun he wanted grounded because of it being close to the stills . the wash backs dont have a grounding wire as i dont see a static spark risk . 

tim 

Our FD required us to ground all tanks holding spirits. We put a simple bolt in the concrete that hit rebar and attached to a ground wire from the tanks to the bolt.

Did not have to ground out fermenters as they only hold "beer" which the fd essentially considers water.  All tanks/containers for spirits needed grounding and bonding.  

6 hours ago, bluefish_dist said:

Did not have to ground out fermenters as they only hold "beer" which the fd essentially considers water.

Please stop, you're applying logic! Our local insurance carrier requested that we ground our fermenters. I tried to explain they contained less than 10% etoh. Fortunately we ran a grounding loop around the perimeter of our facility and it took only $20 in claps & copper to ground them. Thank goodness.  Disaster averted.  😐