Formula approval for Spiced Rum Required?

Bartletts Distillery

We're working on our spiced rum and it will contain less than 2.5% total flavorings and caramel coloring.  Will this product need a formula to be approved by the TTB?  Also what is required on the label?  Is "Spiced Rum" sufficient, or does it need to contain a statement "Rum Flavored with vanilla, almond, and other spices"?

I've read through a lot of the TTB documents but still haven't been able to pinpoint a conclusive answer.

Another question, does the addition of flavorings change the class & type designation to a "Flavored Rum"?   It seems like it should, but maybe not?

• 3 weeks later...

Another question on this Spiced Rum.  If we have added sugar in our recipe, when do we proof to 80.0 proof?  I.e. before or after adding the sugar?  I guess I'm looking for a procedure something like this:

1.  Proof to 80.0 proof

2. Add sugar

3. bottle

OR

1. Proof to ~81.0 proof

2. Add sugar

3. Proof to 80.0 proof

4. bottle

Sugar will lower the proof. You need to add anything you are going to add before you do the final proofing. Make sure you fully understand how to proof a spirit that has added ingredients. It's not as simple as using a hydrometer.

Thanks.  At this point, I think we're going to forego the sugar.  Sure, it makes the final product taste better when sipping alone, but we're not making a cordial.  We're making something that will always be mixed with something else, usually something sweet.  Feedback from our customers has been overwhelmingly positive (even without the added sugar.)