work boots that hold up

Sorghumrunner

My less than one year old steel toed Ariats that are slip resistant, acid\oil resistant, waterproof, etc, have already started falling apart.  These boots had seemed great, comfortable and durable.  Then I noticed they'd started splitting at the seam between the sole and the leather.  Could be my fault for not conditioning them regularly.  I bought these hoping to find a semi-affordable work boot after going thru several pairs of hiking shoes, expensive leather Red Wings, and what not.  The Red Wings held up well, but they seemed too nice of a boot to tear up in the distillery. 

Does anyone have a leather work boot they love that has lasted?  Any tips for keeping them going?  I've thought about picking up some rubber boots for wash down, but I figure I'll forget to change shoes just for that purpose. I need something that will stand up to acid, alcohol, caustic and lots of wet floors.  Or is less than one year just the life of work shoes in this environment?

6 months and I generally get new shoes because the sole is wore out and lost support, but the shoe may have plenty of tread left. with boots you work in 1 year max. some wear and how long shoes last depends on how you walk and your weight. The blow out you described is from walking on the outside edge or the strings rotted. mink oil can help prevent string rot but I am sure your feet get wet often. I don't like steel toe boots for various reasons, get the reinforced toe. 

I am going on 4 years on the same pair of Red Wing heritage boots and they have held up very well. Although, it is about time to have them resoled, I dont ever see them completely wearing out from the work done or the chemicals that come in contact working in the cellar every day. I try to clean and oil them 2-3 times a hear to make sure they dont dry out. They were pricey up front but Im hoping it to get 10+ more years out of them. 

• Thumbs up 1