IBC Safety and Procedures

Gundog48

I work at a gin distillery that works with NGS. We've made the transition to buy our NGS in 1000L IBCs as opposed to drums, and have been getting on quite well, but I think we need to take a step back and look at our safety procedures, I was wondering how you guys handled this. I've got two main concerns:

Transfers: Currently this involves me climbing up on the racking and removing the lid, then transferring from the bottom valve using the pump or just by gravity. We need some kind of breather valve, can a vacuum relief lid be used to get the job done, is this sufficent?

Spillage: If the worst did happen, which would be due to failure or damage of the valve or damage with a forklift, we've got the potential for 1000L of 96% alcohol gushing out over the floor. What kind of steps do you take to reduce and mitigate that risk. We have a spill kit, and keep a spare IBC for emergency transfers, but it's an enormous fire risk.

We've just been working with what we have, but it would be nice to know what other people are doing so we can proceed in a safe manner.