Back Up Generator

Highborn

Short answer: no. Somewhat longer answer: why would I bother if power outages (>100ms <6hrs) only happen once every few years? Even if in the middle of an (electrically powered) distilling run just shut everything down and continue the day after... YMMV.

I live in the rural Ozarks and we have been without power for as long as 3 weeks before.  Our power outages are caused by ice storms, floods, snow storms and tornadoes.  I have a 22kW propane backup generator at my house.  I have a 6kW propane backup generator for my business office and a 40kW  diesel back up generator for my businesses shops, and warehouses.  If you are going to go with a back up generator, propane is by far the best and gasoline is the absolute worst.  Propane will save you a lot of headache in the long run. 

In case of a massive EMP (end of the world as we know it) I have the parts to change my 40kW diesel generator to a 20kW generator that will run off of wood gas.  Before I started building stills, I had the idea of building wood fired whole house generators for preppers.  I can build a wood gasifier that will run a pickup off of wood.  You get several thousand miles per cord.  The German and Japanese civilians ran cars and buses with internal combustion engines with wood for the last couple of years of WWII.