Best options for cooling mash

HedgeBird

We are in the process of upgrading our mash tun from one with a separate steam plate and cooling jacket to a new larger mash-tun that has only a single steam jacket. 

I am wondering what folks who have single jacket mash tun, and who do grain is mashes are doing for cooling the mash?  Are most of you running both steam and cooling (water or glycol) through the same jacket, or are you using a separate heat exchanger?  I am basically trying to figure out if I should plumb the steam jacket to do both heating and cooling, or get a separate tube in shell exchanger.  Suggestions and input appreciated!

Out details:

Old mash tun is 150 gallon (has separate steam and cooling jackets)

New mash tun is 300 gallon (has just a steam jacket)

Mash is about 2lb of fine flour per gallon of water.

We have a 300 gallon cold water tank/reservoir that we cool down over night with a chiller then use that water to crash cool the mash.

I have sold several mash tuns that use the steam jacket for cooling and some of them have been in operation almost 7 years..  You cannot run glycol through the jacket only water.  Do not exceed the pressure that the jacket is rated for.  The vessel must be very well built.   You must plumb it correctly.  All of the steam in the jacket must be condensed before you add cold water. 

15 minutes ago, Southernhighlander said:

I have sold several mash tuns that use the steam jacket for cooling and some of them have been in operation almost 7 years.. 

Thats good to hear as I purchased this tank from you! :)

I have been thinking over the plumbing and it seems like the big downside is that the cooling water in the jacket when you are finished cooling will need to be drained and wasted (or pumped back to cold water tank).

FYI - For some reason I am unable to get your phone number to ring.  When I call it just gives me static.  I have tried from two separate cell phones with the same result.  Give me a call if you get a chance!  andrew @ Thistle Finch Distilling!

3 hours ago, HedgeBird said:

Thats good to hear as I purchased this tank from you! :)

I have been thinking over the plumbing and it seems like the big downside is that the cooling water in the jacket when you are finished cooling will need to be drained and wasted (or pumped back to cold water tank).

FYI - For some reason I am unable to get your phone number to ring.  When I call it just gives me static.  I have tried from two separate cell phones with the same result.  Give me a call if you get a chance!  andrew @ Thistle Finch Distilling!

Hi Andrew,

We spoke on the phone but just so everyone knows what's going on, I thought that I would reply here as well.  You can use a small pump to pump the water that is left in the jacket back to your chilled water tank.  I apologize for the phone.  that line has been giving us trouble for days but I think that the phone company has it straightened out now.