Lorenzo

How are you cleaning bottles

Hey everyone,

looking at several processes to clean bottles before filling slowest but most economical way is to sparse with either Co2 or Argon gas, the latter cost more but have been told it does a better job. Water and drying on a rack or tree is an option but more time consuming. Anyone doing the gas method.

Thanks, Lorenzo

Depends on why you are cleaning bottles - are you removing dust and particulate, or are you trying to wash the bottle walls with some kind of solvent (water, alcohol, etc) to remove something.

Silk,

just to remove dust particles, new bottles that do not come in 6 bottle cases seem to have static type dust in some of them.

Most glass always has some kind of particles in it. (dust, bits of cardboard, dirt, residue from the manufacturing process.

I use GNS to rinse the bottles at the same proof as the spirit we are bottling. The removes all of the above

TCW equipment makes some great affordable, semi auto rinsers.

• reaction_title_1 1

2 hours ago, captnKB said:

I use GNS to rinse the bottles at the same proof as the spirit we are bottling.

Curious why you wouldn't rise with the same product you're bottling. Cost?

Kris,

Are you like pumping the GNS into the bottles, using your filler for a few seconds or what ? I looked at TCW system, has a tank for I assume water, and a filter mounted to its stand, just a little out of my price range right now, I've been thinking about straight CO2 hooked up to a typical air nozzle with at least a 1/4 inch by 10 inch copper or ss tube sort of like an ice maker line.

After some experimenting not sure if its just scattering about the dust and micro debris.if I remember my chemistry Argon is heavier and may make a difference but cost is nearly 3 times

LOR

Using GNS over the type of spirit being bottled saves us a bit of money on spirits. Using GNS also allows us to leave the rinser assembled and full, with out having to tear it apart and clean it after every bottling.

@Lorenzo The TCW rinser has a timer on it bottles are placed on the rinser neck down over the spouts and the bottles are rinsed for a few seconds. We rinse with GNS at the same proof of the spirit we are bottling. I would not reccomend rinsing with water as residual water in the bottle will reduce the proof of your spirits. Ive seen other folks purge their bottles with just compressed air or Co2 but this does not always completely clean out the bottle

What are the tax consequences of using gns to rinse? Are you reporting that as a loss? 

Yes, the GNS used in rinsing is reported as a loss. On a given bottling run for 1500 bottles we lose about 1.5 gallons of 80 proof GNS to rinsing bottles