Insurance for start ups...

gavin poole

Hey everyone! So I have an insurance question. I'm starting up from scratch and hope to be up and running in Mid 2019. I'm running into issues getting insurance coverage as they want me to have either distilling experience (which I don't have...) or have a master distiller on the payroll. I wasn't planning on hiring a distiller as a) sourcing and blending some of the product and b) was going to distill myself. Anyone else have this issue and if so how did you solve? I imagine there are a few out there with this challenge as there as so many new start ups around. Appreciate your help. thanks.

I dealt (I hope past tense) with the same thing and seem to have mitigated it with a resume and long list of training and related experience.  Also included the resume of an experienced consultant that would be engaged as needed.  I am purchasing my equipment from Paul Hall and I would assume that I could have worked out something where he would provide a letter to say that he and his distiller provide ongoing support and trouble-shooting to their customers as needed. 

Insurance underwriters are risk-averse by nature, and like most people they are more fearful of what they don't know.  Just think about ways you can strengthen your story.  For me, I have run another good sized small business for the last 12 years and have a lot of other related work experience that, along with a list of about a dozen training courses including a week long intensive hands-on stint at Dry Fly (not cheap but worth every penny if you ask me), seem to settle them down.

• 1 month later...

Did I hear "Insurance"?!?!?!?!?!!

Have no fear, InsuranceMan 2.0 is here.  Gavin, I know we played a bit of phone-tag, but I would love to assist you with this need.  I work with hundreds of distilleries throughout the country, from nano-distilleries all the way up to some of the biggest around.  Please, let's continue our conversation.  My phone number is 307-752-5961.  I look forward to hearing from you, and anyone else that is in need of assistance!