Hello from Adventurous Stills

I've been posting on the site for awhile, but realized that I never posted an intro...

Adventurous Stills hails from Tempe, Az.  We've had our distilling license since 2016; we focus on whiskies (of course), but make a Vodka, a light & dark Rum, a Gin, and 'moonshine' as well.  The name comes partly from the disposition of the three founders, and partly due to the angle we try to take with all our spirits - a slightly different take on the 'standard' spirit styles.  

We're self-financed, and pretty much built the distillery by hand from the ground up.  We did most of the TI's in our leased space, and built our own stills (600 gallon stainless stripping still, 110g copper spirit still, and 60g copper & stainless vodka still).  We also built (and re-built) our stainless 550g mash tun (once for beer process, and once for on-grain process).  We are 100% grain-to-bottle, and use about half local grains (yes we do grow stuff in AZ!).  

We're big on the idea that supporting other craft distillers helps 'raise the tide', helping all of us succeed by increasing awareness of the notion of locally crafted spirits.   So far, we've mostly been asking questions on this site, but as we're learning, we hope to have answers to contribute as well!

- Kelly

IMG_4537.JPG

11 hours ago, MG Thermal Consulting said:

Welcome, I bet you have fun getting that mash crashed in the summer! You have a heat exchanger for it?

Yep, we have a 500 gal reservoir of chilled water that we circulate through about 60' of copper tube inside the Mash Tun.  We can use 'cold' tap water (about 92F for about 10 weeks here) to get us to ~125F, then use the chilled water to go the rest of the way.