Distillery Floor Treatment

Patio29Dadio

I am where I need to decide on a floor treatment for our facility.  I believe aliphatic urethane concrete sealer is what I need.   I just want the concrete to show through... no color. 

What is the experience and recommendation from others.   Epoxy takes too long to cure at the point, and seems a pain to work with.   However, I am told it might be the better choice.  In my experience, the epoxy floors start to look bad with tire marks and scratches, but maybe a darker color would work better there.

The section of the floor where my tanks and stills are located with the 60' slot drain was completely demolished and replaced.  That is what I need to finish first.  The rest of the floor can be dealt with later.

Just interested in what others have learned and experienced here. 

We went the epoxy route and are very happy that we did. We have it in both the tasting room and the production areas. They are super durable and very easy to clean up. It is critical that he surface is properly prepared (diamond grind the concrete) but relatively easy to do.

20181012_093205.jpg

20180824_113815.jpg

Our old floor was sealed with just regular sealant, and any alcohol splashes softened and removed the sealant.  It was also a pain to squeegee clean as the surface wasn't completely smooth.

Our new floor we had professionally ground, cracks filled, reground, polished (to feeling smooth by hand, not gloss) and sealed.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  It was about $3 per square foot, but well worth it.

I find epoxy expensive (we're at 5K sq ft) and a bit Slippery When Wet (ahhh, harkening back to my freshman year college days!). Our floor is sealed concrete with saw-cut joints. I wish we would have had these filled as they're a PITA to clean.  We use a pressure washer surface cleaner 2x / per year.

Thanks all for the assist.  After reading all your comments and doing more digging into the pros and cons of different treatments, I am going with a Benajmin More Corotech sealer (V155) and epoxy finish (V430).  Expensive stuff... over $100 / gallon and I will need about 20 gallons just for the tank area.  But I don't ever want to do this a second time!

The alternative to epoxy coatings is that aliphatic urethane.  We are going to consider that for the tasting room and other areas as it will be a bit cheaper and epoxy tends to amber over time if the sun hits it though a window.  

We used an aliphatic urethane. It looks fantastic on the bare concrete and goes down easy. Only been a year, but it is holding up great. I did have an overnight slow dripping leak of peracetic acid once though, and it did not react well with the urethane.