Kothe 1800l Mash and 600l still Steam pressure

mrtnk100

4 hours ago, mrtnk100 said:

What PSI are people operating their Kothe 1800l Mash and/or Kothe 600l Still with steam?  These were both electric previously and we had them converted to gas steam.

Shouldn't you be asking Kothe that question?  I know my different models require different steam pressures.  So what is good for one person's still may not be good for yours.

That is likely, but since it was sold as baine marie it may only be good for 6 psi steam like some of my baine marie stills are.  If it is only good for 6psi then 14 psi may bust a seam.  I would only run what the manufacturer recommends.  Typically that would be 14.7 psi max, but you never know.  Better safe than sorry.

There probably is some leeway.  We test my stills that operate at 6 PSI at 18 psi and our 14.7 psi stills are hydrotested at 44 psi.  Of course the requirement is that they be tested at 2x the rated pressure, so if the Kothe is only good for 6psi it may blow at 14 psi. 

If you need a section VIII pressure relief valve for the jacket we have them in the correct lbs of steam per hr for your still jacket.  The law requires the section VIII safety valve. We have them in 7 psi and 15 psi.  Also and this is extremely important, make sure that you have a vacuum relief valve on the jacket or it may implode on you when it cools.  If you need a vacuum relief valve we have them as well, in the correct size.  I had a customer a few years ago that decided that his mash tun did not need the vacuum relief valve that I supplied for his inner pot and he imploded his 600 gallon mash tun.  The wall was 1/4" thick 304 stainless.  My safety manual says that the inner pot of my mash tuns must be vented when they are in operation and if not vented the manway must be open.  He closed the manway but did not latch it, then started the crash cooling.  Vacuum sucked the manway tight on the gasket then a little while later wahoo.

• Thumbs up 1