Charcoal Filter Questions

Southernhighlander

I build charcoal filter housings and i know how to size them and build them but that is it.  One of my customers asked the questions below if someone could help me answer them that will be great and I will keep the answers for future reference.  Thank you.

.  I have the 12" x 48" system.  I have read all sorts of ways to use this, each advise seems to contradict the next!

Can you tell me how to best utilize this filter?  I am specifically asking for the following:

Type of activated carbon (granular?  mesh size?)? 

Do I only fill the filter 2/3 full of the carbon to allow for the bed to expand?

Is the best practice to pump from the bottom OR pump from the top?

Do you recommend back flushing after each run (essentially pushing the vodka out of the bed)?

Any idea how long the carbon will last if I am only filtering Vodka?  How can I tell if the carbon is exhausted (simply by taste?)? 

Flow rate 1/4 to 1/2 gallon a minute, going to try the air diaphragm pump I purchased from you.  Also planned on cutting to 110 proof before filtering

Dehner,

I was going to start a distillery.  i built the building and dug a well that puts out 50 gallon per minute, but I also have a business that sells oil extraction and oil concentration equipment.  After researching I found that there is a great deal more money to be made extracting oil from hemp and the other and my building will work very well for that the way that it is set up currently, so i have decided to do that instead of a distillery, mainly because of the huge difference in profitability.

However, I have a guy in my equipment development lab who distills every day under my fuel ethanol permit.  We gained a huge amount of knowledge using this equipment development lab over the last several years.  We definitely made great improvements to our still designs and other designs in there.  The current equipment that is in the lab is an oil concentration, ethanol reclamation short path vacuum still that is fired by a water heater.  I call it the Oil King System. We have currently gotten the run time down to 3 hrs.  Basically we are distilling off the ethanol from a 90% ethanol 5% to 10% Hop oil mixture.  We can distill of the ethanal and leave the oil in the pot in 3 hrs using 130F hot water circulating through the jacket distilling at 80F.

Our competitors suffer a 15% loss of ethanol in their extraction vessels (seperate part of the process from ethanol reclamation and oil concentration).  The loss is due to the residual ethanol left in the plant material.  Basically I have a small short path column and condenser that attaches to the wash vessel which is jacketed.  Basically once the wash is complete the operator turns on the vacuum pump and hot water in the jacket and with a 10 to 15 minute run they can reclaim the residual ethanol in the plant material making the spent plant material safer to deal with and reclaiming the residual ethanol.  My competitors currently do not have the ability to distill off the residual ethanol in the spent plant material in their wash vessels.  Since processors in this industry pay over $22.00 per gallon in taxes for their solvent this saves them a huge amount of money.  It does not take a lot of heating BUTs but the cooling btu needs are extreme.  We are currently working on the largest hemp to CBD processing facility in the US down in Arkansas.  There will be two 2,500 gallon vacuum stills with each still needing a 375hp chiller that goes down to -30 C.  These chillers are built from three 125hp chillers that are daisy chained.  

Anyway next week we will be testing different filter housings and mediums for that industry and during that time we will be using the info that we received from Cabot to work out the best ways that our filter housings can be used for this industry.  I am an Ultra Pure Distributor now and will be starting to sell GNS and denatured ethanol in 1 gallon, 5 gallon, 55 gallon 270 gallon and tanker truck loads to the extraction industry.  So i have plenty of product to play with. 

So I have learned some about ethanol filtering from Cabot and a couple of other distillers that were kind enough to contact me privitally and soon I will have a great deal of data from our own testing that I can use to increase my knowledge base in the area of filtration even more. 

My daddy always said that I give a $50.00 answer to a $2.00 question. 

As far as Ultra Pure there is no way that I could produce it for less than what I buy it from them for unless I spend a few hundred thousand dollars and get into something that I probably don't have the time for currently.. I could cut out the middleman, but I follow my gut instincts and my gut tells me not to do that at this point.  None of my competitors sell it at the prices i will be selling it at and it is profitable for me at those prices because of the quantity discounts I am getting.

I do have a problem however.  I have been trying to see what permits that i need from the state to sell industrial ethanol and i have ran into a wall becouse no one can tell me whee to get the permit.  i have contacted the state alcohol tobacco control and they say that they do not do that type of permit.  They say that they are fairly certain that I need a permit but the cannot tell me were i would get one.  The state ag department says the same and I have pretty much talked to everyone that I have been sent to at the state level and no one knows where i would get such a permit but they all say (surely you must need one because you cannot sell ethanol without some kind of permit.  At this point I am about ready to have my attorney start looking in to it which i have a feeling will be expensive.  Of course I can sell denatured ethanol without a license, but i need to sell reguler ethonal, becouse that is what most of them want.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the advice concerning sourcing GNS, but why would I need a dsp?  I sell industrial ethanol.  I don't need a dsp to buy or sell.

I love craft beers and the best Bourbon and Scotch.  My idea of relaxing is to go to the best restaurants, eat the best food and drink the best spirits.  I also enjoy taking part in several civil war reenactments per year with my son and the rest of the 4th MO Infantry CSA.  There's nothing more relaxing to me than drilling with the Battalion all morning then going into battle and hearing the roar of several thousand muskets and the blast of a couple of hundred cannons.  I also love sailing with my family at sea or on one of the big lakes.  There's nothing like running with a 60 mph  wind on a beam reach in a 39' racing boat.  i also really enjoy driving my 485hp Camaro SS convertible on the Tail of the Dragon in my native Great Smokey Mountains https://www.visitmysmokies.com/blog/smoky-mountains/tail-of-the-dragon-in-the-smoky-mountains/ and on the minny  Tail of the Dragon here in the Ozarks.   What do you do to relax?

1 hour ago, Southernhighlander said:

I appreciate the advice concerning sourcing GNS, but why would I need a dsp?  I sell industrial ethanol.  I don't need a dsp to buy or sell.

I love craft beers and the best Bourbon and Scotch.  My idea of relaxing is to go to the best restaurants, eat the best food and drink the best spirits.  I also enjoy taking part in several civil war reenactments per year with my son and the rest of the 4th MO Infantry CSA.  There's nothing more relaxing to me than drilling with the Battalion all morning then going into battle and hearing the roar of several thousand muskets and the blast of a couple of hundred cannons.  I also love sailing with my family at sea or on one of the big lakes.  There's nothing like running with a 60 mph  wind on a beam reach in a 39' racing boat.  i also really enjoy driving my 485hp Camaro SS convertible on the Tail of the Dragon in my native Great Smokey Mountains https://www.visitmysmokies.com/blog/smoky-mountains/tail-of-the-dragon-in-the-smoky-mountains/ and on the minny  Tail of the Dragon here in the Ozarks.   What do you do to relax?

You can buy and sell denatured industrial ethanol without a DSP permit, although you will need an SDA permit. But if you want to process ethanol, beverage or industrial, you need a DSP permit. So, if you are handling pure (not denatured) industrial ethanol to repackage, or if you are proofing down denatured spirits, you would need a DSP.

Sorry blue star but you are mistaken. The feds say that I do not need a federal SDA permit to buy and sell denatured.  I would only need that if I were producing it.  Also I do not need a dsp to buy and sell pure industrial ethanol.  I would only need that if I were producing it or redistilling it.  Also in the state of mo I do not need a state permit to buy and sell either denatured or pure ethanol for industrial purposes.  I finally got a hold of a state ATC supervisor who said as much.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:10 PM, Southernhighlander said:

Sorry blue star but you are mistaken. The feds say that I do not need a federal SDA permit to buy and sell denatured.  I would only need that if I were producing it.  Also I do not need a dsp to buy and sell pure industrial ethanol.  I would only need that if I were producing it or redistilling it.  Also in the state of mo I do not need a state permit to buy and sell either denatured or pure ethanol for industrial purposes.  I finally got a hold of a state ATC supervisor who said as much.

Sorry, correct if you are buying or selling as packaged. But I believe any repackaging would require a federal permit of some kind.

• 2 weeks later...

We have two carbon filters with two more being installed. We pump rum into tanks on an elevated platform. From there it gravity feeds to the bottom of stainless carbon housings. It flows at a slow rate up through the carbon and out the top to waiting tanks. We use granulated carbon. Powder is a pain in the ass.

After loading the carbon into the cylinders we turn valves and gravity flow r/o water through to clean it. Then we let the rum go through. Then we run r/o water again to clear the rum out of the cylinders. Then we trash the carbon.