Foreshot

Help me understand these reviews

How would you interpret these reviews. What are the issues? He's thinking it's late cuts into tails. I'm not sure that's it or there are other issues. I know it's kinda hard without tasting the spirits themselves. As an FYI, neither are my products. 

"puddle water" and "heavily earthy notes"

https://malt-review.com/2019/02/11/blaum-bros-straight-bourbon-whiskey/

https://malt-review.com/2018/12/15/chicago-distilling-company-blind-tiger-bourbon/

Not entirely sure what Taylor means either.  It almost seems like he was deeply offended he spent his money on the product and went out of his way to be harsh.  He reviewed our stuff and seemed very cordial during our interview.  Some of the descriptors have some poetic license.  The "heavily earthy notes" I assume is a reference to how deep (the distiller even claims it) they go into the tails to get maximum flavor.  Some people are going to like it, clearly Taylor is not one of them.  

10 hours ago, Foreshot said:

For starters, Taylor, doesn't need to be a douchebag. Second, the most valuable comment is:

A stale note of wet cardboard

More than anything this tells me the tails cut went too deep.  If that is in fact the case (and god knows there are so many whiskey "experts" out there, Taylor evidently being one of them) then his other comments have merit. However, I have never, ever heard of "puddle water". That's him trying to be cute.  Reviews like this couldn't be less helpful. 

It was more the "puddle of mud" comment that got me. I guess you could interpret deep tails as that.

1 hour ago, indyspirits said:

Reviews like this couldn't be less helpful. 

Agreed. If he's going to trash someone he could at least offer something to help them improve. Simply saying "you suck" isn't especially helpful.

+1 on the 'wet cardboard' screaming of deep tails.  Also the mention of 'freshly-planed wood' sure seems like a telltale of 'accelerated aging' (chips/cubes and/or small barrel).

Agree with the above that he seemed to have gone out of his way to come up with verbose ways of saying that he really didn't like them where 'a bit rough and ready' may have been sufficient.

I would suspect a deep tails cut could explain it. Don't know where they get their corn, but we've had trouble with that kind of flavor in a test run when the corn ended up having picked up a touch of mold.

It could also be where/how the barrels are stored and prepped. 

I agree the Chicago Distilling review is not very professional,  but I don't think he's obligated to say how to make it better - he is a writer and a taster, not a distiller/producer/technical person. Even if he was on the technical side, some of these issues can have multiple sources. My partner gets a lot of whiskey samples and some of this reviewer's comments ring unfortunately true; I've had many more muddy, grainy, harsh, whiskies that were nuked with poor quality oak from the craft sector than I've had well-made, delicious whiskies. The balance seems to be starting to shift, hopefully before it's too late. 

Hey there... that's our bourbon that he reviewed poorly. While it stings upon first glance, you have to realize that everyone has an opinion... and then you either shrug it off and learn from it, or you don't. I can assure you that our grain is perfectly fine, and we do not go 'too deep' into our tails cut. We do not go for a grain-forward, 'clean' whiskey that a lot of craft places go for. And by clean, I mean distilled to a higher proof. On the contrary, our fermentation and cuts are geared toward big barrels and longer maturation cycles (read: congeneric). 

Take all reviews with a grain of salt and but also learn from them. For what it's worth, our early release of our bourbon earned a bronze at ACSA, and that competition is judged with high scrutiny and is not a medal factory at all. We'll see what happens at ADI. 

Also for what it's worth, I'd be happy to send you a sample of the bourbon and you're more than welcome to taste it against the review and comment (or not) as you wish. I'll take any and all feedback. Shoot me a message at mike@blaumbros.com if interested.

Cheers!

Mike Blaum

First up - I'm sorry he went off on you like that. That wasn't cool on his part. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean something is bad. I'm glad you took it well. 

10 minutes ago, Blaum Bros. Distilling Co. said:

We do not go for a grain-forward, 'clean' whiskey that a lot of craft places go for.

I'm with you there. I was wondering if the reviewer just didn't understand what he was tasting. This is the thing I am worried about as I am pursuing a similar "dirtier" type of flavor profile. 

10 minutes ago, Blaum Bros. Distilling Co. said:

I'd be happy to send you a sample of the bourbon

I'm always up for sampling. I'll email you, thanks! 

It's all good. He was a bit harsh for the sake of being harsh, but I'm not butt-hurt about it. And at the end of the day, he doesn't even need to understand what we are or aren't doing... he just either likes it or he doesn't. The same goes for all the other customers who are or are not buying it (both on and off-premise). I'm not a generally confident person, and I'm always working to improve our spirits. But after the years of R&D, hands on experience, lab analysis, and otherwise, I'm completely confident that our spirits are not 'flawed' (bad cuts, fermentation, maturation techniques, etc) in any objective way at all. 

I reserve the right to get smarter,

Mike Blaum

On 3/5/2019 at 9:22 AM, Foreshot said:

First up - I'm sorry he went off on you like that. That wasn't cool on his part. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean something is bad. I'm glad you took it well. 

I'm with you there. I was wondering if the reviewer just didn't understand what he was tasting. This is the thing I am worried about as I am pursuing a similar "dirtier" type of flavor profile. 

I'm always up for sampling. I'll email you, thanks! 

Here's just more evidence to take reviews with a grain of salt. Here's a positive review of our bourbon https://reviews.whiskeyfellow.net/2019/05/blaum-bros-distilling-co-straight.html?fbclid=IwAR1j9qoqpZSD-NXjVwaNTaH0e9jKEkKb3AvzQKBg_X09Xkgsc4RlHg0Bgdo

I'm not the type to post reviews, but it's just a reminder that people have wildly different palates.