Cleaning Copper

Georgeous

Man what a pain in the ass cleaning copper is. Was not so bad on my starter 50 gallon still but now on my 600 gallon copper top still with a whiskey helmet and 5 plate 18" copper column this is a very laborious task. i have read where some clean with lemon juice, some with ketchup and all other retail type products like tarnx. Is there not something out there to wipe on and wipe off and walla Clean and pretty?

On 2/11/2019 at 5:49 PM, indyspirits said:

My question is.... why bother?  There are so many other time consuming tasks. We just let it go and now it has that nice worn-penny patina.

I too like the petina, my wife driving me nuts how pretty and shiny it was when it arrived. i contacted my chemical sales guy at loeffler chemicals and he recommended their product leraclean 111. you use a water hose foamer let it sit a couple minutes then rinse it off. they are sending me a sample to try. suppose to leave all copper and stainless bright and shiny

On 2/22/2019 at 7:16 PM, Dehner Distillery said:

We use "E-NOX" to clean copper when we build them. It does not polish, it will instantly remove any tarnish from the still.

where do you get this from? my chemical guy at loeffler chemicals suggested one they have that you foam on and rinse off called Leraclean 111 (see attached) , has anyone used this one? they say it is safe for copper or stainless, you foam it all over the outside of vessels than rinse off and dry

CLEAN-111.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I personally get it from the welding supply shop. It is made by Water surface Tech....

Great Product. You will want to wash down what ever you are cleaning after using this. Also, a couple sprays goes a long way.

You can buy it in bulk too. You can thin it down and spray it on with a pump up sprayer and then hose it off. 

I ended up using Leracid from Loffler chemicals that's where we buy our caustic sanitizers and cleaners for our Distillery. it is used to clean the inside of copper stills I literally wipe this on and rinsed it off it is amazing it did not polish but it just totally took off all the tarnish in seconds