Feedback needed of future layout of the distillery

Elixir

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Glenlyon said:

There are a lot of walls. You might find those become annoying as production increases. They tend to get in the way of the workflow. 

yes i have changed it in a different post , this is what i came up with 

rez de chausse ebauche 2 close up.jpg

So you'll need room for the RO system (dimensions depend upon gpd capacity; can be floor-standing or wall mounted), and you'll need a storage tank (capacity and dimensions dependent upon your process needs).

Russ

1 minute ago, Buckeye Hydro said:

So you'll need room for the RO system (dimensions depend upon gpd capacity; can be floor-standing or wall mounted), and you'll need a storage tank (capacity and dimensions dependent upon your process needs).

Russ

i'll message you for more info

2 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Why?

Barrels breath. 

Plenty of people don’t care, you see it everyday. 

Ever tasted raw grain in aged whiskey? A local shop had their mill in the same room as their storage and all the barrels were covered in grain dust. The barrels had a raw grain/moldy must flavor. I have no science to back up my anecdote. Plenty of people don’t care.

4 hours ago, Julius said:

had their mill in the same room as their storage and all the barrels were covered in grain dust. The barrels had a raw grain/moldy must flavor

If you're right someone could play around with having perfumed barrel house to add aroma to the spirit??? Having combustible grain dust all around your barrels sounds like a massive fire risk as well.

5 hours ago, adamOVD said:

If you're right someone could play around with having perfumed barrel house to add aroma to the spirit??? Having combustible grain dust all around your barrels sounds like a massive fire risk as well.

There are more than a couple examples of people crediting their aging environment to flavors in the spirit. Jefferson’s Ocean is one. 

Having eaten a mouthful of malt, and a been hit by a wave big enough to leave me with a mouthful of ocean water ... I don’t quite follow.

One is delicious, the other leaves you nearly vomiting.

So why does the ocean make great whiskey, if it tastes so terrible.  But grain, which is god damned delicious, makes the whiskey taste bad?

• Thumbs up 1
  • Not Helpful 1

14 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Having eaten a mouthful of malt, and a been hit by a wave big enough to leave me with a mouthful of ocean water ... I don’t quite follow.

One is delicious, the other leaves you nearly vomiting.

So why does the ocean make great whiskey, if it tastes so terrible.  But grain, which is god damned delicious, makes the whiskey taste bad?

I am not making claims to what is delicious. Environment has an effect on barrels. If you think mash gas and raw grain dust make for a perfect environment, power to you. Lots of people could care less how their barrels are stored, I guess you are one of them.