anton paar

I bought a non-certified glass hydrometer from Coleparmer. I noticed I was getting unexpected readings. Discovered a small crack in the base and liquid was very slowly leaking into it. It was a manufacturing fault and Coleparmer replaced it. Also I assumed glass thermometers won't change but I have found some red spirit ones become inaccurate. A small section of spirit can break away and move further up the capillary. Sales guy told me they must be stored vertically.

On 2/24/2019 at 9:10 AM, Hudson bay distillers said:

after reading  news story of yet another recall in Saskatchewan craft industry i have a question . can a Anton Paar density meter come out of calibration . i know a glass hydrometer cant change , but not sure about digital density meters . any one have any input .

Not sure what you specifically mean by recalibration. Densitometers have to be regularly recalibrated, since it is possible for the base resonant frequency of the quartz tube to shift over time, most likely because a trace of contaminant has become permanently attached in the tube. This is routinely done as a one point check on units programmed this way by re-evaluating with pure distilled water. The inexpensive SNAP series recommend you do so regularly. If you mean recertification, that means verifying that instrument is working across the range with certified traceable sources and methods, that should also be done over the life of the instrument, particularly if you see unusual changes when calibrating, or poor stability of calibration, from your own calibration checks. Also, the high-end bench-top instruments can also loose their accuracy if the temperature control system somehow degrades. I think the Rudolph system claims it has a self-check that allows it to both recalibrate and check that the instrument is not behaving poorly enough to need repair and/or recertification.