can i achieve 190+ with this system?

UpAndAdam

On 3/5/2019 at 12:40 PM, Julius said:

I do not know. I have only worked with steam and direct flame. I am sure someone else can answer that question. 

I use all electric with both my stripping still (150 gallon all copper CSA,  six 5500 watt elements and 11 six inch plates) and finishing still (30 gallon, one 5500 watt element with 11 four plates) 

I general get an average of 170 proof off 25 proof mash, and put that right into the finishing still. When I do this, I start the finishing still off really slow letting the element gradually heat up turning the wattage up every 30 minutes or so. Just dont go balls to the wall at a 100 percent.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

New to this site and already very impressed by the knowledge and helpfulness here.

Allow me to bump this tread as I am in a similar predicament!

Just about to start using a 600liter (160ish gallon) electrically heated still with an 8" column with 8 plates. From reading this thread I now have doubts if this is sufficient to make a good neutral. The plan is to strip to around 50 proof and then a spirit run. The goal is Vodka and Neutral to be used for Gin production, all made from Barley and Wheat.

If the 8 plates isn't enough I believe  I would have to extend to column above the plates and fill it with SSP's. The question is, would it help and how much extension would I need?

Thank You

Heavydane

It will certainly help. Think the rule of thumb is, height should be 20x the width of your column. That's about what I have and it works. Sure you can get away with less if your packing is set up well, but like Silk says I went to the ceiling. The higher you go, the easier your life will be.

You (generally) don't want to mix column internals on the same pot.

Plate design "A" will have an optimal flow through it.  Too much and it floods, too little and it goes dry.
Packing design "B" will have it's own flow rates.
packing design "C" will have it's own flow rates.

It might just work, but it isn't optimal.  You might have perfectly balanced plates but flooded packing, or perfectly balanced plates and the vapor velocity just blasts past the packing, rendering it nearly useless.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:45 AM, Heavydane said:

The question is, would it help and how much extension would I need?

Thank You

Heavydane

Hi Heavydane,

I suggest 20 plates total for optimum performance.  If you have a height restriction, it is not a problem with our set up.  We can fit 20 plates under as little as 10' with full functionality.  Email me and we will quote you for what you need. paul@distillery-equipment.com

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 1:26 PM, Southernhighlander said:

Up and Adam.

It takes 21 distillations to make a good neutral.  That is a pot with 20 plates.  8 plates is not going to do the job and putting high proof in the pot is not an option for you.  8 plates will get you to around 180 proof but it will take another 12 plates to get you to where you need to be.  If you add 1.25 lbs of epsom salt to your fermented mash after it goes in the pot you can get close with 8 plates 0r by stretching the run out to 20 hrs or so you may be able to maintain 190.  If you would like to add a column extension to your existing 8 plates  or add more plates I can help you with that.  paul@distillery-equipment.com

Paul Hall remains undefeated in the kitchen!

• Thanks 1