Bill Coffey

Barrel size

Is there any fire code,etc prohibiting the use of larger barrels? We are looking at some larger barrels (greater than 59 gallons) and were probably misinformed that we could not use barrels larger than 59 gallons. Thanks for any help

I am not sure from a Fire Code standpoint but I know that for DOT that if you transport spirits in over 60 gallon containers by truck they are considered Hazmat, while the 53 gallon barrels we transport from the distillery to the Rickhouse via truck are not as they are under the 60 gallon limit. 

Nothing in the fire code that I am aware of.  Although the fire code does not definitively cover wood barrels.  There is a general interpretation that wood barrels are outside of the MAQ code for containers holding spirits (the 240 gallon limit for a sprinklered control room when container is closed).   In some jurisdictions they demand that the barrel storage be included and thus force the expensive C1D1 code compliance instead of the C1D2 that all craft distilleries should strive for. 

The thinking is that a wooden barrel would collapse from fire before it would become a bomb like would a stainless steel vessel... thus keeping the wooden barrel out of the MAQ.

Now, I there is a high-piled combustible stacking code that might play a part in determining barrel size (class 1B and 1C flammable liquid).  Each jurisdiction might vary and it matters if sprinklered or not, but it is a general limit of two standard 53 G barrels on racks stacked horizontal... maybe three if sprinklered.  Also depends on the roof height.   So a larger barrel might be an issue there. 

3 hours ago, Bill Coffey said:

Is there any fire code,etc prohibiting the use of larger barrels?

No, oak barrels are exempt in the fire code.  The commentary in the fore code defers to the building code.  Basically they are saying "we agree with the MAQ's in the building 

21 minutes ago, Patio29Dadio said:

There is a general interpretation that wood barrels are outside of the MAQ code for containers holding spirits (the 240 gallon limit for a sprinklered control room when container is closed). 

I disagree.  They are included in the building code but not the fire code.  The "general interpretation" is incorrect.

26 minutes ago, Patio29Dadio said:

two standard 53 G barrels on racks stacked horizontal... maybe three if sprinklered. 

120 gallons if not sprinkled and 240 if sprinkled.  This can be increased significantly by adding control areas.  You can have up to 3 additional control areas and if they are sprinkled you may have up to 960 gallons in storage and remain and F-1 facility.  If you are classified as H-3 there is no MAQ

You might be referring to the proposed rule from TTB.  Search on this topic on this forum

19 hours ago, Bill Coffey said:

were probably misinformed that we could not use barrels larger than 59 gallons

TTB seeking comment on using ONLY 53G Barrels---the end of small distilling in america (?)