Mash separator for 3000 L mash

GGCD

Hey There,

ive been reading through this equipment page trying to find info on a mash separator of some sort. It sounds like people have tried a few different things but nothing really stood out as an option for us. 

We plan on mashing mostly wheat with some barely mostly in a 3000L mash tun/stripping still but it is incapable of lautering. Are there manufacturers that build a premade unit that could filter the wort and collect the grain from a 3000L batch? I have been looking at modifying a square stainless fermenter that has a removable lid and could be fitted with a screen and also has a flange at the bottom to hook a pump to, to pump the wort to the fermenter. From what I’m reading on here there is a good chance that the screen will plug up quite quickly and just overflow the wort.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated  

Thanks,

chris 

955E9654-4D3C-4036-8131-017EDB0C1B21.jpeg

Usually most mash tun/stripping combination are jacket heated, so why bother lautering?  Even with a lauter tun, a mash bill of predominantly wheat, with low barley, may have challenges lautering without adding rice hulls, as wheat has no husk.  I think it's easier to separate after distillation, not to mention your yields will likely be better.

Ya fair enough. I may end up doing it that way, I just hadn’t planned on fermenting on the grain. I thought maybe someone with this setup had found a clever way to lauter before it went to the fermenter?

Thanks for the reply.

Chris.