Jump to content
robbins1993

Whiskey Filtration

Recommended Posts

Hey ADI users,

I'm having issues with sedient and haziness with the whiskeys Im filtering at barrel strength (123 pf), and the product diluted to 100,90,and 80pf.

In BOTH rye and bourbon whiskeys.

I chill the whiskey down with stainless steel jugs that are filled with water and frozen. I can get the batch of 240 gallons down to 38 degrees Fahrenheit withbthis method. 

I let the whiskey settle for an hour at the 38 degrees Fahrenheit and proceed to filter after.

Currently im running the whiskey through a 3 cartridge canister with 5 micron filters, a single cartridge canister with a 1 micron, a single cartridge canister with a .45 micron, and a single cartridge canister with a .22.

The whiskey comes out looking very clear and has no evidence of haziness or sediment but about 8% of the finished bottled product becomes hazy and settles over a few months. The other 92% of the bottled product has no issues with sediment or haziness.

 

Any suggestions or proposed alterations to this method would be appreciated!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems like an insane amount of filters to process 240 gal of whiskey. If only some of the bottles get hazy are they the first ones you bottled or the last ones? Do you have pressure gauges on the filters to make sure you aren't exceeding their functional pressures? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slow reduction of proof with often help prevent hazing or sediment issues as the spirit settles into the bottle.

Have you tried slowly reducing the proof over one month before bottling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest suggestion is filter closer to bottling proof. 

Also it is a lot of filter cartridges, are you washing them in-between uses? What type of water are you preparing them with? Hard water can put Ca & Mg ions in the cartridge which will cause problems after filtration.

I'm also not sure your temp and the time at the temp is making an impact on your filtration process.

We've in general had bad luck with cartridges for a number of products and are more and more switching to pads. However on our rye, we do a single, room-temp filtration through 5 micron cartridges with no problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...