Remote Still Start Up Suggestions?

Josh

2 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

I'd replace it with something that looks like this.

Or maybe something like this if a display is necessary.

My Mash and Fermentation controllers are based on this one though, I'm partial to this brand, it's a great system.  You just connect the wires to where they need to go, and it goes.  It has a nice little web server HMI built in, so you can access it from anything with a browser.  Plenty of SCADA/Failsafe capabilities too, alerting/messaging, etc. 

Tried sending you a PM but I think your inbox is full.  Any suggestions for where to start on creating a remotely accessable monitoring system?  Not looking to automate anything at this time, just send the still's data to a couple different screens/devices.

Thanks!

My system is based on the Click PLC and the C-More HMI.  Reason  ....... because surplus stock and lying around in my stores.  I love the Direct logic PLC's so will always recommend it.  HMI's, no would presently go for Weintek.

I agree with the sentiments expressed earlier, "DO NOT run the still unattended or remote". Even the remote probability of something happening when unattended which you can't control can cost dearly.

Typically you should design your system and heat input for bringing to boil in 1 hr or so. It is a simple calculation of the amount of heat required to bring your system to boil, the heat transfer efficiency and the max available power. If for some reason you don't have enough power available (not enough amps/boiler too small) then there is another solution available :

Use a pre-heater. We have an effluent tank where we keep last run's hot effluent. It has an agitator and lots of copper coils. When filling the still, the wash is pumped through these coils. And it comes to a boil in 45 minutes !!

If you don't have effluent, you can heat up water in a tank to pre-heat the wash. Essentially you are stretching your peak heat usage over longer time by heating the pre-heater.

Thank you all for the help here, I sincerely appreciate it! The lesson learned here is the complexity of an answer far outweighs the simplicity of the question.

I will spend some more time on researching this, and appreciate all of the comments provided. As you all know, the days are long and tireless, and the current heat up times at full capacity are just too slow to be sustainable labor wise over time.

VSAKS - great idea - we have a tankless water heater that can pump out 182f water, so the concept of pumping our low wines through a counterflow unit is a simple idea that could reduce time to boil - something for us to think about at least.

Silk City, thank you so much for sharing the unit you've set up, pretty slick!

Love the dialogue and community we have here on the forums, it truly is a one-of-a-kind resource for the craft distilling community.

If you purchased the column with it then the SN would be on the column.  It is on a silver sticker that gives the name of our business contact info and your stills SN.  The stickers are permanent.  If somehow yours is not there on the column, let me know and I will have Susan look up your serial number and send you a sticker.  If you bought the pot without a column and condenser no SN is required because it is just a jacketed pot.