Continuous Distilling

B-RAD 22

Hello,

I am going to be building a distillery hopefully in the next year of so. I am interested in perhaps getting continuous still which I have just heard of, but my knowledge is very limited. I am looking for information about a continuous still as per the following:

• What are the advantages/disadvantages?
  • Who builds these and can I get a costing?
  • Why is there no cooling required? 
  • Does anyone have an engineering drawing example of one? Or know where I can find?
  • Maybe a video showing how one works? I see there are industrial ones (oil refineries) on YouTube but looking for a distillery specific. 

It should be noted that these are my parameters:

• Will be making vodka and gin. Hopefully will get into whiskey two or three years later.
  • Fermented medium does not contain solid particles. 
  • Hoping to complete 2000 liters (528 gallons) per 6-8 hours cycle. 
  • Space is no problem, (I know that the columns are tall). 

I appreciate any help you can give me. 

Thanks

I would be more than glad to chat with you or anyone about our continuous stills. We can design and build them right here in the USA. 

The size of the unit or GPM is based on the space you have available, and the size of your boiler. 

We can even do a complete install and training program. Help is always a phone call away.

www.redbootstills.com

515-559-4879

9 hours ago, B-RAD 22 said:

Hello,

I am going to be building a distillery hopefully in the next year of so. I am interested in perhaps getting continuous still which I have just heard of, but my knowledge is very limited. I am looking for information about a continuous still as per the following:

•  
  • Why is there no cooling required? 
  •  
  •  

There is no external cooling required because the coolant is the cold distillers beer that is feeding the still.

The one I built has a tube in tube condenser, the cold beer is counter flow to the hot vapour

Another advantage is the feed gradually heats up as it moves along the condenser. When properly tuned the feed will be close to boiling as it enters the top of the column. 

Also the hot stillage leaving the bottom of the column has no alcohol left in it, a well designed continuous will also capture this heat to add to the feed making this type of still very efficient with both energy and water consumption.

Hi  B-RAD,

Send me a pm with your contact info and I can to tell you all about continuous stills, how they function and share some drawings of continuous designs with you of stills ive installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finishing up a cooling system to satisfy the mash cooling requirement for 2000 Gal mash runs, which I hope to have photos soon.

Even if your continuous still does not need cooling, your mash cooling does, in this case a 40 ton hybrid cooler first stage and 60 ton chiller second stage cooling feeding a large shell and tube mash cooler.

If you would like information on this type system, please contact my company email.

Mike G

678-773-2794