How Much Does Bulk Grain Cost - Canada

Hello,

I am trying to cost out a plan for a potential distillery. I plan on buying bulk grain to distill vodka eventually whiskey, however I am finding it hard to find a company that provides this in Canada and what the approximate cost is.

Does anyone know how much and who provides grain in Canada? I mean with the large prairies we should have tonnes of this for sale. 

Thanks 

Not sure about Canada, but to get you in the ballpark I've seen heirloom (Bloody Butcher) clean shelled corn in bags at $500/ton.  This might be high compared to more mainstream corn, but I don't have that cost comparison since I'm not in the business yet.  I just talked to a guy I was interested in buying from to get a plan together.  From the same farmer Danko Rye was $15 per 60 pound bushel.

Restaurant supply stores in US sell cornmeal at $13 per 50 pound bag which also comes out to $520/ton, so maybe it's not a bad estimate.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been buying from Grain Process Enterprises in Scarborough.  A 50lb bag of either malt barley or rye was about 15$.  If you call them, they'll be able to give you more pricing info.  I'm trying to source stuff that's more local, but I'm in the early stages of that!

https://wildernessreturn.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/grain-process-product-list-may-2011.pdf