4 Spout Bottle Filler

Devin

Xpress fill is nice, but noisy. I don't believe there's any reason to have the gas option with spirits.

We now have 2 different 6 spout fillers but still use the 4 spout Xpress for small runs as cleaning is super simple. If I'm only doing a couple hundred bottles of a flavored spirit it's not worth the time to break down and clean the 6 spout.

If Xpress could make a 6 or 8 spout I'd be all over that.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/4/2019 at 11:19 AM, Devin said:

Looking for recommendations on a 4 Spout Bottle Filler? 

Thanks in advance!

Devin

I have done over 1 million bottles on our 6 spout filler from winters vault. It has an ele. Eye for a float and the out put ELE switch I have hooked to a 120v air valve that powers an air pump.

I love it so so so much. It is so very versatile for darn near any bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 4-spout ExpressFill, my biggest complaint is the way it is piped inside makes it loud & hard to clean.

After 4 years of use I decided I could improve the performance and completely gutted the birds-nest inside and redesigned the plumbing to something more logical (at least to me).  One unexpected benefit to the revision is that this thing is quiet as a mouse now (yes Skaalvenn I agree it was loud & used to wear ear plugs when filling bottles).  The main reason I made the change is to fill 50ml minions which was difficult on the original setup due to surging and unequal filling.  The new setup has a master flow control at the pump outlet (normally wide open) and smaller flow controls at each spout (also normally wide open).  If filling 750ml bottles, use the small flow controls to balance the system to eliminate that one spout that was consistently high or low.  This might have slowed my fills from <25 seconds to maybe 28 seconds. (note the service factor on the filler pump is such that you shouldn't count on more than 1 cycle per minute +/- over extended periods).  To fill minions I bought special fill tubes that ExpressFill sells, these point straight downward (no dogleg).  To fill minions, close the master flow control until the fill cycle is slow enough to not surge or overshoot (about 4.2 sec for my setup).  You might have to adjust the spout flow controls also to get perfect fills on all 4 spouts.  It works great, but it did take 10-15 minutes and about 15 cycles to get it set up the 1st attempt.  We filled 2,000 minions without making any additional adjustments and the fills were all spot-on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 3:46 PM, Jedd Haas said:

Can you post some pictures of your modified XpressFill?

Here you go... I need to get a 7/8" knockout punch to cut holes in the top to mount the 4 small valves and one hole in the side to mount the master flow control.  I drilled a hole in the table to route the suction hose and bypass that quick connect.  The braided tube is silicone (pricey $$).  All components came from McMaster-Carr.

IMG_2965[1].JPG

IMG_2966[1].JPG

On 12/4/2019 at 8:23 AM, Beach Time said:

Here you go... I need to get a 7/8" knockout punch to cut holes in the top to mount the 4 small valves and one hole in the side to mount the master flow control.  I drilled a hole in the table to route the suction hose and bypass that quick connect.  The braided tube is silicone (pricey $$).  All components came from McMaster-Carr.

Is that the level filler or the volumetric filler?

9 hours ago, daveflintstone said:

Curious, why did you want to bypass the quick connect input?

I'll chime in and say I never liked the position, a line that right angles out the back would have been more ideal for us.

We still have one of these that I keep for smaller bottling projects and I think I'm going to try these modifications.

Quick question though. I didn't see that larger valve on McMaster, do you have a part number?

Thanks!!

Dave, was in DC yesterday so I'm slow responding, I have a triclamp on the end now so I'm just eliminating another connection.  I have a straight pump connector for the discharge and will have to lengthen the discharge tube in order to mount the large valve on the side above the old quick connector.

Skaalvenn, here's the packing list, you need to save the 4 check valves off the manifold exit and mount them directly onto the spout inlets, the rest of the birds-nest gets tossed, the 1/2 tubing is for the pump inlet and dip tube.  I'm looking for a 2nd filler, what other fillers are you using?

2883N12 Barbed Precision Flow-Adjustment Valve for Food and Beverage, for 3/8" Tube ID 1 Each

2879N11 Food and Beverage Precision Flow-Adjustment Valve with Push-to-Connect Fitings for 1/8" ID and 1/4" OD Tube 4 Each

51735K26 High-Temperature/High-Purity Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 3/8" ID, 0.655" OD, 1 ft. Length 1 Each

5779K731 Push-to-Connect Tube Fitting for Air, Wye Adapter, 1/4" Stem OD x 1/4" Tube OD 2 Each

5779K264 Push-to-Connect Tube Fitting for Air, Wye Reducer, for 3/8" x 1/4" Tube OD 1 Each

5779K375 Push-to-Connect Tube Fitting for Air, Adapter, 3/8" Stem OD x 0.320" Tube ID 1 Each

51735K25 High-Temperature/High-Purity Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 5/16" ID, 0.592" OD, 1 ft. Length

51735K27 High-Temperature/High-Purity Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 1/2" ID, 0.8" OD, 5 ft. Length

2129T13 FEP Clear Tubing for Chemicals 3/16" ID, 1/4" OD, 10 ft. Length 1 Each

1 hour ago, Beach Time said:

Dave, was in DC yesterday so I'm slow responding, I have a triclamp on the end now so I'm just eliminating another connection.  I have a straight pump connector for the discharge and will have to lengthen the discharge tube in order to mount the large valve on the side above the old quick connector.

Skaalvenn, here's the packing list, you need to save the 4 check valves off the manifold exit and mount them directly onto the spout inlets, the rest of the birds-nest gets tossed, the 1/2 tubing is for the pump inlet and dip tube.  I'm looking for a 2nd filler, what other fillers are you using?

2883N12 Barbed Precision Flow-Adjustment Valve for Food and Beverage, for 3/8" Tube ID 1 Each

2879N11 Food and Beverage Precision Flow-Adjustment Valve with Push-to-Connect Fitings for 1/8" ID and 1/4" OD Tube 4 Each

51735K26 High-Temperature/High-Purity Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 3/8" ID, 0.655" OD, 1 ft. Length 1 Each

5779K731 Push-to-Connect Tube Fitting for Air, Wye Adapter, 1/4" Stem OD x 1/4" Tube OD 2 Each

5779K264 Push-to-Connect Tube Fitting for Air, Wye Reducer, for 3/8" x 1/4" Tube OD 1 Each

5779K375 Push-to-Connect Tube Fitting for Air, Adapter, 3/8" Stem OD x 0.320" Tube ID 1 Each

51735K25 High-Temperature/High-Purity Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 5/16" ID, 0.592" OD, 1 ft. Length

51735K27 High-Temperature/High-Purity Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 1/2" ID, 0.8" OD, 5 ft. Length

2129T13 FEP Clear Tubing for Chemicals 3/16" ID, 1/4" OD, 10 ft. Length 1 Each

Thanks so much--that saves me some time!

Right now we have 2x 6 spout fillers, a Mori from TCW and a 6 spout from Criveller that we use regularly

https://store.tcwequipment.com/products/mori-filler

http://www.criveller.com/products/winery/bottling-solutions/manual-bottling-systems/fillers/

Both are good fillers, and both have their advantages and disadvantages, depending on the bottle shape and how you use it.  I have less headaches with the Mori, and Michael at TCW has been great to work with.  The only real headache with the TCW unit was that the fill height is only adjustable by the tray itself, and the Criveller is adjustable by both the tray and knobs on the nozzles (very important for accurate fills on SOME bottle shapes).  The tray on the Mori doesn't allow for fine enough adjustment for SOME bottles to meet the TTBs allowable fill tolerances.  HOWEVER,  I just received a prototype infinitely adjustable tray from TCW for me to test out, and I believe it will solve the aforementioned issue.  The Mori is also longer by about 10 inches, which does add up if you're running a few thousand bottles a day.

The Criveller unit was sent with a Flojet BEER pump, which is almost the same as the G70 except my brief research tells me that the internals may not be ethanol compatible.  We swapped that out immediately, so if anyone wants an unused beer pump, let me know.  The main headache we get from the Criveller unit is that the nozzle tips are very soft and prone to getting bunched up on the bottle neck, which can cause overfilling and overflows.  The second headache with the Criveller is the pneumatic float isn't strong enough to completely shut off the pump, so if you stop filling you'll want to manually shut off the air supply.   We never have those problem on the TCW unit.

Again, overall both units are good fillers. I can't say one is absolutely better than the other for everyone, but I'd lean towards the Mori from TCW.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MichaelAtTCW said:

Thanks for the write-up @Skaalvenn

We're on v3 of the infinitely-adjustable tray prototype. I think this one's a winner in terms of being customizable and not too complicated to build (read: expensive) but feedback will be invaluable.

Not a problem. It looks pretty good So far. I already have an idea of how to make it slightly better (quick and cheap mod), but I'll save that for after we actually have a chance to use it. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

@Skaalvenn,

Ran across this thread and am a bit confused. I have the Mori 6 spout filler and have no problem finely adjusting the fill level. On each tube, there is the oval-shaped opening where liquid enters the bottle. Move the rubber cone and lock ring such that when the bottle is in position, the bottom of the outer metal sheath is where you want your fill level. The liquid stops filling when air can no longer exit the bottle.

I do have to adjust the position of the rubber cone for different bottle types. I know I'm late to the thread, but I've heard the idea that the Mori filler is only adjustable by tray height from a few sources now. You don't need a fancy tray, just a hex wrench. Or maybe I'm missing something here.

1 hour ago, ryanh said:

@Skaalvenn,

Ran across this thread and am a bit confused. I have the Mori 6 spout filler and have no problem finely adjusting the fill level. On each tube, there is the oval-shaped opening where liquid enters the bottle. Move the rubber cone and lock ring such that when the bottle is in position, the bottom of the outer metal sheath is where you want your fill level. The liquid stops filling when air can no longer exit the bottle.

I do have to adjust the position of the rubber cone for different bottle types. I know I'm late to the thread, but I've heard the idea that the Mori filler is only adjustable by tray height from a few sources now. You don't need a fancy tray, just a hex wrench. Or maybe I'm missing something here.

I am very familiar with filling nozzles, their adjustment, and TTB standards of fill.  The Mori in it's standard configuration is only adjustable by moving the tray up and down, adjustment of the rubber cone on the Mori does not change fill heights. That I am 100% absolutely positive about as I have had plenty of communication with @MichaelAtTCW at TCW about this.  Sometimes the tray notches perfectly line up and a certain bottle design is within TTB tolerances (always measure by weight) and sometimes the only option is violation of fill by either too much or too little. There are some "hacks" you can use with vice grips or clamps, but it's not ideal and they are prone to move/drift out of adjustment through a run.  Sometimes you are in tolerance when your spirit is around 76 degrees in the summer, but then it's out of tolerance when the temperature drops (and vice versa).  Thankfully, the new design seems to work well, although I will be e-mailing Michael with the results I've found so far. It's not perfect, but I think a minor change will fix that.

I have 4 different fillers that we use for various products/projects at the distillery because for us, it's easier to typically dedicate one towards a certain product/bottle so that we don't have to spend time adjusting things back and forth or waiting for cleaning to be finished before proceeding with another bottling on busier production days.  Each filler is a different brand/model and they each have their own "personality" or quirks, they all do some thing better than the others, and they all have something I don't like about them.  I've been thinking about looking into prototyping and then making my own design of fillers someday.

1 hour ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Need the adjustable Mori tray - I can’t get it to work with my bottles.  Proper fill level is right between two settings.  Piramal Jersey.  Proper fill level isn’t in the neck, but the top of the large bore body.  Small differences in height are major ml differences.

Ding ding! The Jersey is that same bottle we use for our brand, and that fill height in the transition between the flat top and the neck bore is a real PITA to nail down.  We tried out the prototype tray with the Jerseys the other day and it was a complete success. We usually use the Criveller for the jerseys and it works OK. The downside to that filler is that it's pretty sensitive on the angle of the jersey bottle, and each bottle must be angled the exact same way otherwise incorrect fills happen. The rubber cones are also much softer on the Criveller and they are prone to catching on the bottle lip and cause the cone to not seal, you'll typically only catch it when a bottle starts gushing spirit out the top...it's very annoying.

Anyways, yesterday our criveller was giving me a headache on the Jersey bottles (not able to push the fillers up high enough to completely open the air port, leading to very slow fills), so I wheeled in the Mori and adjusted the tray.  After about 2-3 minutes of filling bottles, weighing them, and then making small adjustments we had it nailed down and it worked great. So e-mail Michael @ TCW and see if he can do you up. 

The one thing I did notice is that the Criveller filled the bottles at a noticeably faster rate. The mori gets close to the top and then fills very slowly whereas the Criveller raced all the way to the top.  I'm not sure if that is the fill head design or the angle of the bottles--have not investigated yet. The bottles are pretty vertical in the mori, and at an angle in the Criveller.

Feel free to google "Skaalvenn" and give me a call if you want help getting your current Mori to fill the jersey bottles correctly, I'm always here. You can text as well. -Tyson

9 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Need the adjustable Mori tray - I can’t get it to work with my bottles.  Proper fill level is right between two settings.  Piramal Jersey.  Proper fill level isn’t in the neck, but the top of the large bore body.  Small differences in height are major ml differences.

We have a very similarly shaped bottle, also use a Mori 6 from TCW and have the exact same fill height issue.  I have been knocking around modification ideas for our unit but would love see the v3 @MichaelAtTCW is referring to first.  Prefer not to reinvent the wheel.

6 hours ago, WaywardB said:

We have a very similarly shaped bottle, also use a Mori 6 from TCW and have the exact same fill height issue.  I have been knocking around modification ideas for our unit but would love see the v3 @MichaelAtTCW is referring to first.  Prefer not to reinvent the wheel.

Same goes for above, feel free to give me a ring for a temporary solution until you get a new tray.