20-30 Gallon Development Flute Stills

Blue Bolt

14 hours ago, FijiSpirits said:

Brother, I tried calling you several times last week with no luck.  Seems like when I’m workin you ain’t!  Time differences are a thing when I’m working in Fiji. Lol

hope to see you up and around soon. I’m keen to learn about your continuous systems, steam generators and maybe that vacuum system your talking about. 

Ill warn you that a strong USD and bank theft are real serious factors for us but nothing that can’t be overcome with some creative thinking.  I’m a Montana transplant so I prefer to stick with ‘murrican sources when it’s doable. 

what's the best way to catch you these days?

Fiji Spirits,  I was out of theoffice all week last week and it looks like I will be again this week.  Please call me between 9:00AM and 5:00 PM central time at 417-778-6908

Thanks

On 6/26/2019 at 12:27 PM, Blue Bolt said:

Bout made up my mind on a 4" glass Still dragon with the ProCaps...still a little concerned with sulfate removal with the only copper being the plates and caps but I guess we'll see. Trying to think of a way to add a little copper before it gets to the plates. Might be a waste of money. Not sure, any opinions on that would be great.

Stilldragon has some nice 30 gallon pot belly kettles but they want $2300 for the kettle and the fittings. Can't justify that. They don't sell a 26 milk can and I think a 13 gallon will be inconsistent pushing a 4" column. Probably will look towards Affordable Distilling or Hillbilly for the can and electric heating.

We have a 17-plate 4" StillDragon with Pro-Caps on top of Affordable Distilling 50 gallon w/ 3x5kW direct. This works great for distillations of high wines to vodka, for example. Even then, we see significant blackening of the bottom plates after a few distillations. I am not sure I would use the StillDragon for production of low wines from mash or wash. Why not do a strip without the StillDragon plates, just a copper upper still body?

On 7/4/2019 at 12:16 PM, bluestar said:

We have a 17-plate 4" StillDragon with Pro-Caps on top of Affordable Distilling 50 gallon w/ 3x5kW direct. This works great for distillations of high wines to vodka, for example. Even then, we see significant blackening of the bottom plates after a few distillations. I am not sure I would use the StillDragon for production of low wines from mash or wash. Why not do a strip without the StillDragon plates, just a copper upper still body?

At the end of the day that might be what has to happen. I'd like to experiment with trying to get the product I want out of one pass but worst case scenario I never do then just replacing the glass column with a copper section for a stripping run should help alleviate any sulfide concerns.

Are those bottom plates on your StillDragon seeing foam? I had read where they used to recommend a solid section before the glass column for certain washes to avoid the foam.

53 minutes ago, Blue Bolt said:

At the end of the day that might be what has to happen. I'd like to experiment with trying to get the product I want out of one pass but worst case scenario I never do then just replacing the glass column with a copper section for a stripping run should help alleviate any sulfide concerns.

Are those bottom plates on your StillDragon seeing foam? I had read where they used to recommend a solid section before the glass column for certain washes to avoid the foam.

We don't see foam, because as I said, we don't use the StillDragon on mash or wash, just on wines or previous distillate.

3 minutes ago, bluestar said:

We don't see foam, because as I said, we don't use the StillDragon on mash or wash, just on wines or previous distillate.

Lol, sorry you had to say it twice.

Regardless, as I alluded to, good idea and I'll keep in mind.

We do usu

1 hour ago, bluestar said:

We do usually put a pipe section on top of the boiler and under the glass column, or all of our columns for that matter.  Not a problem to run mash or wash, just like other columns, it depends on how much heat you're throwing at it.  At the end of the day, the Crystal Dragon functions just like the regular stainless or copper columns.  We, along with others, have plenty of customers doing all grain mashes, and heavier washes with the glass columns.  For stripping runs, as @bluestar mentioned, it definitely makes sense to hammer it down through a copper helmet or something of the sort.  

Blue bolt,

I have a  column set up that will give you the same proof as the 17 plate still dragon at a much lower cost. 

Bluestar,

I have a column for your 50 gallon that will allow you to do a Vodka run in less than 6 hrs.  Contact me privately and I will offer it to you at a special price. paul@distillery-equipment.com  

3 hours ago, Blue Bolt said:

BTW @Southernhighlander and @ChrisSD I'm just waiting to get my business card in hand so I can get the points. Should have an order made by end of week with one of y'all, one way or another.

Good thing I've been paying attention to our conversations and know that you're not looking for a 17-plate vodka column!  Once you have your finances in order, give me a shout.  I'll give you that contact I was telling you about as well.  I've spoken to him already about it.  Cheers!