Reasonably priced Enolmatic filters?

Denise

Finding Enolmatic filters for our bottling machine is difficult but even more difficult trying to reasonably priced filters!

Can anyone suggest where to purchase? St Pats doesn't sell them anymore and it doesn't look like they even sell the off brand version anymore either.

enolmatic filters are hard to find and way too expensive. Looking for an inline/canister type filter system to hook up to just take out any residuals. Preferably USA made with reasonable replacement filter costs...? Anyone happy with your current setup/manufacturer? Thanks!!

We use filters from Graver Technologies for Enolmaster.  They are about $28 each from our supplier (Harrington Plastics) and we use them a few times, stored in alcohol between uses, depending on the product. 

https://www.gravertech.com/product-lines/liquid-process-filters/pleated-filters/pmc-series/

We use the PMC 1-10P2S (1 mic) mostly but they come in .5mic if you need more than that.

• 4 weeks later...

They are designed to filter out yeast and wine pulp, so I assume they should last a good long time if you're just filtering out random dust/ect particles. I'm still new to using it but am still on my first filter. Run about 1000 bottles through it. I soak it in pbw and then back flush it after each use.

I'm thinking of just buying a stainless filter which I imagine would last forever as long as you keep cleaning it, and replace the gaskets. I would also be less worried about flavors leaching over from the filter from different products.

2 hours ago, adamOVD said:

I'm thinking of just buying a stainless filter which I imagine would last forever as long as you keep cleaning it, and replace the gaskets. I would also be less worried about flavors leaching over from the filter from different products.

SS filters are very expensive, have low flow rate, high delta P, low dirt holding capability and finally just don't have the comparative filtration efficiency.  All round a bad choice.

• Thanks 1

The bottling line filter should not be final filtration.

Final filtration should happen as part of processing.

The bottling line filter is simply a last line of defense for any stray dust are particulate which may have found its way in the product in final transfers, tanks, etc

I agree with Adam - bottling line filtration should probably last damn near forever.

• Thanks 1

I just know that I used to filter beer through a lenticular filter that uses similar designed cartridges, just way bigger. They lasted a surprisingly long time even after plugging them up with a ton of yeast and hops. From what @richard1 says I'm afraid to pull the trigger on a stainless cartridge now though. One costs more than the actual filter housing.

Also like Silk says it's just 5 micron filtration to keep stray particles from getting into the glass. I got it for insurance because I'm starting to distribute more. My real filtration happens before proofing. @MichaelAtTCW do you you have any input? I saw you reacted to a couple comments, and you've seemed very knowledgeable about equipment in the past.

I saw you reacted to a couple comments, and you've seemed very knowledgeable about equipment in the past.

21 hours ago, adamOVD said:

@MichaelAtTCW do you have any input? I saw you reacted to a couple comments, and you've seemed very knowledgeable about equipment in the past.

Thanks for saying so. Sure, I have some input.

There's some good advice in the thread already. What @richard1 says is on the money. With regard to stainless vs plastic I see people fall into a filtration logic trap that goes something like this:

1. Plastic is disposable.
  2. Stainless steel is not disposable.
  3. My filters are made of plastic and they are disposable.
  4. Therefore, a filter made out of stainless steel would not be disposable.

It doesn't work that way. Filters have a finite lifespan. They last until they're clogged or until they become "spoiled" with mold, bacteria, etc. That's true no matter what material they're made of. That being the case, there isn't really a compelling reason to use stainless steel filters unless the material you're filtering is so aggressive/hot/cold that it is only compatible with stainless steel.

If you want inexpensive filters you can go with melt-blown depth cartridges. That's the cheapest style of filter. Like the SS filters they are relatively inefficient, small surface area, low dirt holding capacity, etc. They're typically single-use and are not designed for cleaning/backflushing, but only cost $10-$15/filter.

Spending more on a filter typically gets you greater efficiency, longevity, and dirt-holding capacity. We rep Graver filters, and they offer great US-made products at a reasonable price. I like QMC and GFC as bottling filters for spirits. Both will last you a while with proper cleaning and storage.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Having used an Enolmatic for years, and as you can see here, the filters are standard sizes, so you can find replacements at a low cost.  We added a 10 inch pre filter with a Nalgene or polypropylene body (very common and very cheap filters) as a pre-filter to our line (10 um) and then used 1 um in the filter canister.    

• Thumbs up 1

5 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Having used an Enolmatic for years, and as you can see here, the filters are standard sizes, so you can find replacements at a low cost.  We added a 10 inch pre filter with a Nalgene or polypropylene body (very common and very cheap filters) as a pre-filter to our line (10 um) and then used 1 um in the filter canister.    

Thanks Blackheart! My problem has been finding a company with low cost replacements. Searching online, the range in prices for identical filters has been enormous. I found a highly suggested company to quote prices on filters, and while the ones that look like felt on the outside are much cheaper that the pleated ones, stills seems high for the number of times they can be reused before needing new ones. Still looking for a supplier