Whiskey Thief

paclawyer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

If you can solder you can make one pretty cheap. All you need is a copper pipe, copper cap and a small copper funnel you can likely pickup at walmart.

Drill a hole in the cap and solder (lead free) to the copper pipe on one end.  Cut off the tip of the funnel so it just fits the pipe and solder that in on the other end..  Done

You can make something that will look better than here but basically the same idea.  If you want a "fancy" handle check your hardware section of a ACE hardware, Lowes or Home Depot.  You can buy everything you need likely at any of those stores to built multiple pretty cheap for $25ish if that.

However, you might also want to check out a different kind of thief probably easier and cheaper to make and probably easier to use overall.  You could use SS or copper to make one.  With copper you could probably knock out a dozen for under $100 total.  Copper tube, cap and chain.  You could just use string to test with to make sure it works.  Jump to 7:35 in the video.  Not sure of spelling but it sounds like he called it a "pervet". I doubt it's spelled that way and I don't know it's spelling but be warned if you try and search for that on google at work it will return "pervert" so be warned. LOL  Never used one like this but think I'd like it.  Less spillage or dripping if used correctly and doesn't take up much room.

I like that you can have a person up on a ladder doing a pull and lower it down to you with no spilling which is hard with a typical thief.

I'd stay away from glass as that just asked to be broken easily.

BTW, I've been in distilleries that just use plastic turkey basters and also ones that have pulled the bulb off a turkey baster and pushed it on a copper tube for a "copper whiskey baster".  Not sure I like the rubber idea but it worked and the spirit won't be touching the rubber but still...

I'd try making a "pervet" or whatever that was called as it looks super easy to make and very functional and could be tested with string.

If anyone knows proper spelling of it I'd appreciate know what it is.  I've only seen it used in a few videos like above but looks totally cool and easy to use.  Knowing how it's actually spelled could be useful to find them online. :)

yes, you can make a thief from plumbing parts, and it will work, but is ugly.

also all plumbing fittings are designed to slip over the outside of the pipe for soldering, with 1.25" pipe this makes it too big to fit into some barrels bungs. so you need to make it out of smaller pipe, and you can draw a much smaller sample.

while it solders together in much the same way one would out of plumbing fittings, I've designed my pieces to slip on the inside of a standard 1.25 "L" pipe length, making for a tight, flush fit solder, without increasing the diameter. Custom machining of copper isn't cheap, even done en masse, but you have to have a bunch of pieces made at once to make the price approachable.

I did this more as a favor to my customers, I don't make much on these thiefs, I just thought I could do a better job of it than what was out there. Doesn't hurt my feelings if you don't buy one.

I tend to give these away more often than I sell them. Typically to Customers who have bought a still from me, or Friends in the industry.

French barrel thiefs are called a purvett.

Thanks @DrDistillationfor telling us how to make something. I look forward to seeing the pictures of what you built. Till then there is no need to knock down a reputable vendor for promoting their products

5 hours ago, captnKB said:

Till then there is no need to knock down a reputable vendor for promoting their products

ummm, I didn't get that feeling at all from the post.  Very helpful hints for those who like making things and those on very tight budgets.  It's always nice to have options.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:32 PM, captnKB said:

French barrel thiefs are called a purvett.

Thanks @DrDistillationfor telling us how to make something. I look forward to seeing the pictures of what you built. Till then there is no need to knock down a reputable vendor for promoting their products

What vendor did I knock?  Don't think I ever mentioned a vendor at all.  Surely not ViolentBlue if that's what you think.  His thief is a thing of beauty, very reasonable in price and is of high quality based on the pictures he has shown.

Lots of different type of personalities and abilities in the forums.  Some people would prefer to purchase while other like to tinker and build things especially when they have a room of parts available.  When you need/want 1 or 2 of something it's usually easier to buy.  When you need/want a dozen or so of something like the OP post, it might be better to try your hand at making something if you are handy.  Everyone has different budgets and priorities.

BTW, thanks mucho for the spelling of "purvett".

On 6/11/2020 at 4:57 AM, DrDistillation said:

What vendor did I knock?  Don't think I ever mentioned a vendor at all.  Surely not ViolentBlue if that's what you think. 

I didnt see, or take offence.

many different ways to get a job done, everyone favors their own, thats just how life works.

• Thumbs up 1

• 1 year later...