perfection

not mandatory to use neutral spirit for gin?

seeing the US definition for Gin, is it right to understand that

- the use of neutral spirit is not legally necessary for Gin production except for compound Gins

- the distillation can be done in ANY kind of still

Is this correct?

Pretty much. Absolutely does not have to be neutral spirit. Juniper must be the dominant flavor source, so if your base spirit had much more flavor than the juniper, that might run into a problem, although how they would determine that, I am not sure, probably from the formula.

Ah ha !No I understand the key difference between the US definition and the EU definition of gin

In the EU definition, they specify neutral spirit (ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin) for producing compounded gins and distilled gin 

You don't even need a formula for a gin distilled from a mash (think jenever-style). I had to fight like hell to make that case to the TTB officer that reviewed our COLA, but it's right there in the regs. Now, don't get me started on how they're dealing with COLAs for aged gins.

21 hours ago, jharner1 said:

You don't even need a formula for a gin distilled from a mash (think jenever-style). I had to fight like hell to make that case to the TTB officer that reviewed our COLA, but it's right there in the regs. Now, don't get me started on how they're dealing with COLAs for aged gins.

Correct. We do a couple (our "railroad" gin and our genever).