Cleaning Options

Streven

Looking for some advice on possible cleaning options for my 150 gal mash tun.  I'm mashing bourbon in this unit and it has cooling coil inside the tank.  The cooling coil is a pain to clean around.  I haven't found a great way to get the tank fully cleaned without disassembling it which I'm currently doing after about 3-4 runs because I start to see some build up in spots that are not easily reached.  When assembled it's difficult to reach quite a few areas between the coil and inner tank wall.  I'm using Kettle Wash from Ace Chemical which is a high alkaline cleaner.  

I've tried to fill the tank half way with water and mix in the kettle wash and heat and let soak hoping to remove residue without scrubbing but that has not been effective.  So I'm curious if there are any stronger cleaners that anyone recommend I try?  Or any other techniques.

I don't have room in the distillery for a heat exchanger so I don't want to go that route.  The other option I'm considering is removing the coil altogether and flooding the steam jacket with water for cooling.  Would make cleaning easier, but I need to check with the manufacturer before attempting that.  

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know!

Thank you.

MT_1.jpg

MT_2.jpg

MT_3.jpg

Thanks guys.  There is not a port for a spray ball so pressure washer would probably need to be the next attempt.  I think that will help, but there will still be some areas where the pressurized water won't hit like the undersize of the cooling coil.  I will also try using citric.

I have always used PBW with great success.

Two tablespoons per gal so 19 cups per 150 gal. keep the tun heated , mixer on and leave overnight.

I also alternate with citric acid.

More Beer has a good price on 50 pound buckets of PBW

I just purchased a 100 gal (working) bain marie that had a very heavy layer of scorched oil inside the jacket. It took a little while with the PBW but now looks brand new.

Edited by Windy City
forgot to say leave mixer on

Update:

After last run I filled the mash tun with hot water off the condenser.  Added Brew Clean (comparable to PBW) and let agitator run overnight.  Result was a clean tank.  I will alternate with acid as suggested and hopefully avoid the need to disassemble to remove buildup in the future. 

Mash Tun.jpg

1 hour ago, Streven said:

Update:

After last run I filled the mash tun with hot water off the condenser.  Added Brew Clean (comparable to PBW) and let agitator run overnight.  Result was a clean tank.  I will alternate with acid as suggested and hopefully avoid the need to disassemble to remove buildup in the future. 

Mash Tun.jpg

Outstanding.  Glad to hear it.