Grey County, Ontario

Thanks for the site.  We have a farm and as I get closer to retirement I keep thinking that distilling using local products is something I would be interested in doing.  It might be hair brained and I hope to find that out soon enough too if true.  I have 5 y before retirement to figure that next career out 

Welcome to the forum , you 'll find tons of info on here. As your planing things out I suggest that you work backwards . Figure out what kind of income you need to survive and then size your distillery to meet that goal . Once you know how much you need to produce take that number and double it . Big mistake is starting to small ie hobby size equipment, hobby size will get you and your buddies drunk but won't pay the bills to run a distillery.  

Good luck with your goal I hope it all works out , buckle up it's a wild ride lol. 

Tim 

I am eyes very wide open.  Perhaps i would  be better off to find a place to work at rather than try and be my own guy. 

I’’m getting wise to myself - age is a tough teacher - the idea seems great however I think my level of understanding of what is required is not even close enough to being able to think about it properly.  I guess that’s why I’m here

Collection of random thoughts...

Note: My comments pertain to small a farm based distillery, not a mid - large urban enterprise.

I love the farm distillery lifestyle. The commute to work in the morning is a  2 minute saunter past the chicken yard, coffee in hand. Very idyllic. But, it also cost me a million bucks.

As a customer, when you arrive that's what you see. And, you immediately begin to imagine yourself in such a situation. That is what I'm selling - a fantasy of what could be... if only...

So, as you contemplate the idea of building your own distillery, the first question you need to ask yourself, are you up for building, presenting and sustaining that or a similar/unique image/idea? For many years?

Next. As a farm operation, traffic is going to be a problem one way or another. Not enough or too much, either way, issues will abound - but the sad fact is - no matter what your business plan says, you will never sell enough bottles through your tasting room to sustain an operation. Therefore, you need to be very clear about how you are going to move your product. 

Next. Even if you have a great product - your clients will always opt for the liquor store 90% of the time for the cheap stuff. So, you are catering to a very small market and you have to know how to nurture it carefully.

To that end, there is an old adage in this business - "Win Your Backyard." This is incredibly important advice and the distilleries that fail to heed it are often very sorry, when upstarts like us start biting their ankles.

This is an extremely competitive business. Sure people are the best of buds, but they will soon sour on you when you knock them off the local store/restaurant shelf.

The other key point you need to consider is - Do you understand what an alcohol company is? Trick question.

Answer: Its a marketing company that sells alcohol. If you don't understand marketing inside out and back to front, you are at a disadvantage. 

And finally, how are your taste buds? If you are not producing quality over quantity in a farmgate environment you won't attract the loyalty you'll need in the dark winter months.

And finally, my consultant was quite surprised when I mentioned my impending long weekend bottle sales - (in the many hundreds) - he pointed out that a lot of distilleries although surviving, are not thriving like we are. This is a tough, expensive business - so make sure you are well armed before going into battle.   

• Thumbs up 2

Thanks so much for your thoughts.    Honestly after hearing back from a few of you I think this isn’t the business for me. I’m not a hustle guy, I don’t like competition. I’d rather do something well for my satisfaction.  At this point in my life it seems a venture I should not take. Cheers 

MarkDM, keep in mind that everyone has a story to share.  Some share predominantly the negatives,  do not let that completely derail your potential journey before you even start. I remember when my wife was expecting our first child,  all the experienced moms out there shared their painful delivery stories to the point she was scared to death.  In the end,  things weren't as bad as she imagined and we went on to have another child a few years later. She vowed never to share the grisly details of birth to first time moms she met,  rather the positive experiences.  Apple's to orange's comparison I know but that's what I first thought of while reading this thread. 

Yes,  you want to go into any venture like this with eyes wide open so input from those who have done it,  both good and bad,  is very valuable.  There are scary lows but also euphoric highs in this business,  only you can judge if you are willing and able to deal with both extremes.  Best wishes! 

Thanks gentlemen.  I’m an orthopaedic surgeon and 55.  I’m sooo ready to get out of medicine and stay far far away from it.  Hopefully to do something I actually enjoy for a few years.  60 was my target date and my goal had been to find something I can enjoy doing for retirement rather than dwindle.  Distilling has been a kind interest but I understand the business has almost nothing to do w my current skills.  The farm is a place we’ve worked on for 15 y and we are looking for ways to make it work to a greater extent for us 

thanks again 

mark

Look at the pro's, 

You'll be retired so you'll have an income stream from your retirement plan and you won't necessarily need to take money from the business for a few years.  Don't discount the advantage that gives you. The best piece of advice I got before starting my distillery was "don't quit your day job" - after 3 years I'm finally starting to transition away from my full time job. A supplemental income during the startup years is very helpful. 

You own the farm so you won't have to purchase property/buildings. Metal buildings are fairly cheap and you can probably find a great spot on the farm to build (If you don't already have a building available).

You have 5 years to learn.  Attend classes,  visit other distilleries,  put a business plan together and see if it makes sense! 

Cheers! 

Sorry, I don't know of any courses in Canada.  Have heard good things about the various offerings at Moonshine University in Louisville although courses there are pretty pricey.  There are also a lot of classes offered by distilleries themselves which tend to be less costly.  Keep track of the education section in this forum for available classes!

I apologize if I was sounding negative. I tend to think very practically.

Urban Distilleries in Kelowna does a 5 day workshop. I've taken it, it's not bad.

Also, the Sons of Vancouver Distillery in Vancouver offers a 5 day version that is smaller in class size and very hands on. Quite good I'm told.

We spent five years developing our distillery concept. Two years thinking about it seriously and then  roughly two and a half years to get the zoning, licenses, build the distillery, etc. We've been open now for about a year and a half.

We love the lifestyle and find it very satisfying and we get lots of local enthusiasm.

It is important to mention - your spouse has to be in 100%. If she isn't - that's going to be hard to reconcile as this work is very all encompassing.   

On 8/30/2019 at 9:12 PM, Glenlyon said:

Urban Distilleries in Kelowna does a 5 day workshop. I've taken it, it's not bad.

Also, the Sons of Vancouver Distillery in Vancouver offers a 5 day version that is smaller in class size and very hands on. Quite good I'm told.

We spent five years developing our distillery concept. Two years thinking about it seriously and then  roughly two and a half years to get the zoning, licenses, build the distillery, etc. We've been open now for about a year and a half.

We love the lifestyle and find it very satisfying and we get lots of local enthusiasm.

It is important to mention - your spouse has to be in 100%. If she isn't - that's going to be hard to reconcile as this work is very all encompassing.   

Focus on that last point!

I too am in the final stages of building a farm distillery in Eastern ontario.  You should get started now if you're planning on retiring in 5 years! haha, I've been at it since 2016 and i'm still nowhere near opening.

On 8/30/2019 at 9:12 PM, Glenlyon said:

I'll second Sons of Vancouver.  We've had quite a few customers go there for education and have nothing but good things to say!

• Thumbs up 1

I don't think you were sounding negative Glenlyon just practical, this business is certainly not a get rich quick scheme, but it is a passion that comes from within.  There are ups and downs, good days and bad days, but there is No better feeling than when you get your spirit out there and consumers love it.  My advice Mark is do your homework and go for it I think your idea sounds great and being in the health industry myself still I know what you mean about getting out.  GOOD LUCK anything is possible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 2:08 PM, ChrisSD said:

I'll second Sons of Vancouver.  We've had quite a few customers go there for education and have nothing but good things to say!

I'll second the positive word on Sons of Vancouver.  Always a pleasure to be there and fun to work with.