High proof alcohol resistant hand pump

abe

Hi, First of all I would like to thank you all for the time and effort helping the community with such valuable info on these boards it's truly very helpful, so Thank you all!

I am looking for a high proof alcohol resistant hand pump to pump out 190 proof from a 55 gallon drum, dose any one have any recommendations ?

I would greatly appreciate a reply,

Abe.

Hi abe,

I have an ex pump for less than $400.00 that runs off of compressed air.  It pumps 5 gallons per minute and only uses 2.2cfm.  If you are interested email me paul@distillery-equipment.com  I know that its not what you are asking about but it is an inexpensive option.

Below are some reveiws of the pump.

E
 03/14/2019

Eric M.

Great little pump.

Thanks!

A
 05/30/2018

Adam H.

Great little pump

Needed something to pull our whiskey out of our barrels for mixing before out larger spirits pump arrived with our upgraded 300 gallon still. This little pump does the job flawlessly. Not the fastest, but worked great.

D
 05/15/2018

David P.

Very Nice

The customer service was great and the pump looks great!! Haven't tried it yet, getting all my trinkets to start my distillery

17 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Dayton 4HA31

Stainless and PTFE

About 80-90 bucks

Painfully slow.  Consider storing the drum sideways and using a simple drum spigot.

Thank you Silk,

Which one would you prefer, stainless or PTFE ? 

did it work good for you ?

the reason I am asking is because I am using a simple Action Piston Pump that is made out of PVC material and I am seeing small particles in the GNS that I am pumping out of the drum,

I am assuming that this pump is cussing small particles of plastic to desolve in the alcohol. 

27 minutes ago, abe said:

did it work good for you ?

the reason I am asking is because I am using a simple Action Piston Pump that is made out of PVC material and I am seeing small particles in the GNS that I am pumping out of the drum,

I am assuming that this pump is cussing small particles of plastic to desolve in the alcohol. 

Yes it worked good and the pump is polyethylene which is good for alcohol.

• 4 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 7:47 PM, Silk City Distillers said:

Dayton 4HA31

Stainless and PTFE

About 80-90 bucks

Painfully slow.  Consider storing the drum sideways and using a simple drum spigot.

Warning!   I bought that pump to transfer some barrel strength to a new barrel.   Something broke inside on the 3rd use so I disassembled to see what was up.   Inside I found a single washer on the inside portion of the seal that clearly was not stainless and was beginning to rust.   I was very lucky to catch it as early as I did.   

I used to use this pump:

https://www.amazon.com/JAANHUEI-P490JH-Plastic-Patented-Rotation/dp/B07PRDXTXX/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=55+gallon+drum+pump&qid=1581616387&sr=8-18

Then later bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/National-Spencer-387-Stainless-Steel-gal-55-Seals/dp/B011N6F4MI

Both pumps work just fine for neutral spirits. However, I have stopped using these hand pumps entirely; as Silk notes, they are painfully slow.

Now I use a Sandpiper PB-1/4 such as this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SANDPIPER-PB-1-4-TS3CA-Double-Diaphragm-Pump-Conductive-Acetal-Air/383004202514?hash=item592cd45612:g:NaMAAOSwub1dAjJc

You can sometimes find these pumps used on ebay for very reasonable prices. However, be sure to find out what they were used for previously.

23 minutes ago, Hudson bay distillers said:

Not all stainless is stainless , we bought sight glasses from a vendor that fit a 4 inch column on a rd still . The bolts that hold the sight glass together rusted within a month , bottom line is vendors buy stuff from all over world and dont test if its stainless or jus shiny . Buyer beware . 

Tim 

True this. Chrome and nickel content will dictate quality and rust protection. We have some tri-clamps that don't rust but when you put a magnet on them, it will stick. Columns are usually good stainless and the same magnet will not stick at all. Do the magnet test. Good little read here: https://www.greenwoodmagnetics.com/resource/what-is-the-difference-between-304-and-316-stainless-steel/