I understand that aquavit is traditionally made using a neutral that originates from either rye or potatoes. It is then infused with a predominate flavor of caraway and sometimes dill, among other botanicals. Often barrel aged, sometimes not.

To those that make or enjoy aquavit, would it be off-putting to see used a neutral derived from a source other than rye or potatoes? TIA.

I don't think there is an issue for you to use a different neutral base. The base will impact the mouthfeel of the spirit so depending on how you want to support the botanicals, you could go a number of ways.

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 6:33 PM, Sator Square Distillery said:

I understand that aquavit is traditionally made using a neutral that originates from either rye or potatoes. It is then infused with a predominate flavor of caraway and sometimes dill, among other botanicals. Often barrel aged, sometimes not.

To those that make or enjoy aquavit, would it be off-putting to see used a neutral derived from a source other than rye or potatoes? TIA.

You can use almost any neutral or schnapp, but traditional is rye for Sweden, potato for Norway, other northern countries might use other grains as well. But grain or potato, so I would avoid neutral from cane, grape, etc.