Enolmaster Filter Housing broke

Georgeous

9 minutes ago, Foreshot said:

Any pics of the area? I was thinking of getting one, would like an idea of the issues I may have to deal with. Thanks.

for high spirits you will need the pyrex version the plastic one will crumble as the spirits will cause it to delaminate. What do you mean by pics of the area? The glass / pyrex breaks very easily. i would like to get a stainless housing filer to put in line but done know which one will work with this system

I've had an Enolmaster for over 2 years. Probably use it on average once every two weeks. Never had a problem with it that wasn't easy to fix.

Is it breaking when you are screwing the top lid on it with the four screw handles?

From what I've seen the Enolmatic can be used for spirits and the housing is plastic.

• Thanks 1

Someone could probably make good money selling pyrex replacements for the Enolmatic plastic filter housings. Why Tenco stopped producing them I will never understand. I suspect they did so before the explosion small craft distillers, not realizing the market was there, and knowing they were unnecessary for lower alcohol products like wine.

• Thanks 1

Filters are filters. Not sure why there is any question about which one will work for the Enolmaster, but maybe there's something I'm missing. It's been many years since we stopped selling Tenco fillers so I don't recall completely, but I've been looking at pictures of the unit online and it's just a standalone filter housing with a hose barb inlet and outlet.

The only odd thing about their unit is that it uses vacuum to pull through the filter, which means you'll get less life out of filters than you would if you were pushing through them with a positive displacement pump, which is the way we set up Mori Fillers with inline filter.

Any filter housing should technically work. It's just a question of plumbing it inline with your Tenco filler:

Polypropylene filter housing

Stainless steel housing

Professional-grade housing

It looks like all you would need to do is get either a hose barb x thread or hose barb x tri clamp fitting to make one of those work just like the Tenco version.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 8:51 AM, Blackheart said:

We had that same enolmaster system and we didn't use the pyrex filter housing.  Never ever had a problem in 3 years.  Washed it thoroughly, handled gently, didn't overtighten the lid.  

Hi! would love to have a quick chat about this and what is tight and what is over-tight. I get more grey hair every time I use this thing.  Would you be available for a short call?

Hand tight is ok.  Youre just making a slightly compressed seal. Think capping a thermos. If it leaks it'll dribble down the side and or may make a noise or slightly lose suction (if I remember right).  Try to tighten the knobs uniformly (like a star pattern).   

I think I remember the acorn caps at the end (countersunk nuts at the bottom) becoming lose, as well as some of the other nuts on the tie rods (those threaded long bolts on the sides).  You have to watch those and make sure they stay tightened and uniform. If they come lose, it will leak and not hold a seal.  Its been a few years since I had mine so there may be others here that used theirs much more recently. 

• Thanks 1

The enlo master pyrex filter holder is a major pain--I was thinking of getting a second one for filtering in tandem for some of the liqueurs with higher sediment, but don't want to go further down the lane. Any suggestion for an alternative to this? (We are bottling gin, vodka and liqueurs, and are thinking we'll put out 40K liters this year.)

1 hour ago, Rhody-O said:

The enlo master pyrex filter holder is a major pain--I was thinking of getting a second one for filtering in tandem for some of the liqueurs with higher sediment, but don't want to go further down the lane. Any suggestion for an alternative to this? (We are bottling gin, vodka and liqueurs, and are thinking we'll put out 40K liters this year.)

If the sediment clogs the first filter housing the second one won't help. You should pre-filter your product before you run it through bottling at a filter rating lower than the filter in the Enolmaster. I use cheap filter bag at about 1um to filter my liqueurs before I bottle them.  http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=%2Bfilter+%2Bbag+%2BPTFE

You should think of the bottling filter as a last chance to grab a hair or fruit fly or something that fell in the bottling drum not to filter sediment from your products.

Yeah--we are on the same page--hair & fruit flies! I've been doing filtering for micro batches of liquors with paper or SS filters, depending on what it is, but these bags look great! Thanks. I've got a coffee vodka that i get most of the sediment out, but there's still some fine bits. Much obliged!

On 10/8/2019 at 12:20 PM, MichaelAtTCW said:

Filters are filters. Not sure why there is any question about which one will work for the Enolmaster, but maybe there's something I'm missing. It's been many years since we stopped selling Tenco fillers so I don't recall completely, but I've been looking at pictures of the unit online and it's just a standalone filter housing with a hose barb inlet and outlet.

The only odd thing about their unit is that it uses vacuum to pull through the filter, which means you'll get less life out of filters than you would if you were pushing through them with a positive displacement pump, which is the way we set up Mori Fillers with inline filter.

Any filter housing should technically work. It's just a question of plumbing it inline with your Tenco filler:

Polypropylene filter housing

Stainless steel housing

Professional-grade housing

It looks like all you would need to do is get either a hose barb x thread or hose barb x tri clamp fitting to make one of those work just like the Tenco version.

All

i went with the professional grade housing after talking to Michael of TCW. i got the 30" but am using my 10" filters i used on enolmaster on it. it works better than that italian piece of $h!t

Call michael i never met anyone that know so much about filtration, trust me all my filtering needs he is on speed dial 

thanks Michael and TCW

• Thumbs up 1