Golden Beaver Distillery

Milling Dust Collection w/ Pneumatic Vacuum

I used to own a wood shop. We picked up one of the 2hp dust extractors for cheap at harbor freight. Works pretty good and dumps the dust into a removable plastic bag via cyclonic action. 

Might work well for milling operations if kept clean and moisture free. 

I used an industrial vacuum cleaner to remove dust  from the  outlet that would have otherwise drifted into the surrounds

It had some type of filter shaker that operated when the filters started to block

10 hours ago, FijiSpirits said:

I used to own a wood shop. We picked up one of the 2hp dust extractors for cheap at harbor freight. Works pretty good and dumps the dust into a removable plastic bag via cyclonic action. 

Might work well for milling operations if kept clean and moisture free. 

What about the need for explosion proofing? 

What are you trying to comply with?  ATEX for the distillery area or reducing explosion hazard due to dust?

the vacuum itself is the hazard reduction for dust explosions.  

As for ATEX in distillery it would seem to be easier to remove grain processing from the distillery area thus eliminating ATEX compliance on motors and electrical.   I’m not an expert on ATEX compliance. Fiji has no rules for this so we are left to common sense when implementing safety measures. 

23 hours ago, FijiSpirits said:

What are you trying to comply with?  ATEX for the distillery area or reducing explosion hazard due to dust?

the vacuum itself is the hazard reduction for dust explosions.  

As for ATEX in distillery it would seem to be easier to remove grain processing from the distillery area thus eliminating ATEX compliance on motors and electrical.   I’m not an expert on ATEX compliance. Fiji has no rules for this so we are left to common sense when implementing safety measures. 

We're not trying to comply with anything but, as you put it, common sense.  Trying to remove grain dust for overall cleanliness and reduce/remove any potential explosion hazards created by our milling process.

Since posting this to the forum, I was educated by a grain dust removal expert - he specs dust removal systems to granaries. The main factor when sizing a dust collection system is to keep your CFM at or above 4,000 CFM so particles don't fall out of the air stream, use metal ducting (6"-8") and if flex hose is needed make sure it has a metal wire in it to dissipate and static build up. 

a properly built (sealed up) mill and auger system will generate very little dust. If you are building a big operation you will need dust collection but most smaller systems generate very little dust

Golden Beaver Distillery said "Has anyone created a mill dust collection system using a pneumatic vacuum?"

Grain dust itself is extremely explosive and many people have died from grain dust explosions.  If I were moveing grain dust with blowers or similar mechanical equipment, that equipment would have to meet the explosion proof requirements for moving grain dust.  This equipment is very common and not that much more expensive.  Also you must mitigate the possibility of static build up and static charge release with proper grounding.  Grain  dust being sucked or blown through piping creates large amoiunts of static.  I have worked with blowers and blower piping for over 20 years and currently design explosion proof blower systems for moving large amounts of hogged up hemp which has around 4% residual ethanol which makes it very explosive.  Keep in mind that all bearings must be lubricated regularly. If a bearing fails in your blower, ignition and explosion can occur.  The fan and other mechanical parts must be inspected and maintained on a regular schedule. Be safe and get the proper equipment for the job.  Don't take unnecessary risks by using equipment that is not safe for the job.  

I'm sure that you are all about safety and that you will do the right thing as long as you have the information and knowledge concerning how to do that.  It sounds like you have sought out and found a professional so you are on the right track and I know that at this point you probably understand how hazardous dust can be, however it never hurts to hear it all again,

https://ag-safety.extension.org/grain-dust-explosions/