Estimating Utility Costs and Consumption

38°

We are in the process of trying to estimate utility costs. We are looking at a propane fired (maybe 750k btu?) boiler, 200 gal vodka still, two 400 gal fermenters. We won't be doing our own mash. We will also have an attached tasting room.

This is what I have so far based on some info found searching the forums here. Would anyone out there be willing to post information on how much they consume? Am I on the right track here? Thank you for taking a look I appreciate all of the help we've gotten here.

Propane

Cost $1.99 per gallon

Est. usage 583 gal per month at full capacity

Total monthly cost $1,161

I used some actuals someone posted in another thread that they use $225 of natural gas at $4.32 MCF - I also used a 1 MCF to 11.2 gallon conversion (is this accurate?) So, (($225 / $4.32)*11.2) * $1.99 = $1,161

Water Use

$290 per month service charge

Use Cost $1.52 100 cf

I am told by my distilling advisor that we can expect to use 3k gallons of water in an average month if we have a closed cooling system. 3-4 times that if not closed. With a public bathroom as well, and assuming no closed cooling I am ball-parking 20,000 gallons of use per month. Does this seem right?

20,000 gal * 0.133681 = 2,674 cf (conversion to cf, is this correct?)

2,674 / 100 * $1.52 = $40.64 use cost

Electricity Utilization

Cost on average $0.24 kw

I have no idea what we will consume electricity wise - we are in the process of filling out the details on equipment and loads this week. Thought on usage here or an easy way to estimate?

On 1/23/2020 at 5:02 PM, 38° said:

Water Use

$290 per month service charge

Use Cost $1.52 100 cf

I am told by my distilling advisor that we can expect to use 3k gallons of water in an average month if we have a closed cooling system. 3-4 times that if not closed. With a public bathroom as well, and assuming no closed cooling I am ball-parking 20,000 gallons of use per month. Does this seem right?

20,000 gal * 0.133681 = 2,674 cf (conversion to cf, is this correct?)

2,674 / 100 * $1.52 = $40.64 use cost

Kudos, that is a really cheap water usage rate, must be rural. At that rate, closed cooling would be relatively expensive. I don't see a sewage rate. My combined water and sewage rate is more than 7x yours at $11.55 /100cf, suburban. If you don't have sewer service, factor in your water and solid waster disposal costs somewhere. Your public bathroom should hardly make a blip compared to cooling water usage. Based on your numbers, looks like you plan to run that still only once or twice a week?

Yes that's right, we are at the source in the mountains and rural/vacation community. We are hoping to only run 1 or 2x per week in order to have time for tending to other parts of the business.

We do have sewer, I believe its around $90 / month.

So, at capacity would we expect 3 times the water numbers above potentially?

3 hours ago, 38° said:

Yes that's right, we are at the source in the mountains and rural/vacation community. We are hoping to only run 1 or 2x per week in order to have time for tending to other parts of the business.

We do have sewer, I believe its around $90 / month.

So, at capacity would we expect 3 times the water numbers above potentially?

Can't provide any better estimate than your advisor, who I presume had detailed information on the operation of your still, etc. Cooling will dominate, but it varies so much based on efficiencies of the design of the still.

• Thumbs up 1

I have combined 30 years experience dealing with HVACR, Steam, and Propane fired systems. I have never gotten into any cost estimation with propane, but I can tell you its both expensive and more dangerous to run than NG. When doing certain types of burner setup and testing with NG, it is common sometimes to get a clock on the gas meter to estimate cubic feet. Your consumption figures need to be accurate or you may be shocked with actuals.

.https://homeguides.sfgate.com/determine-propane-burn-rate-furnace-25507.html

If its possible for thw size boiler you are getting, you need it equipped with a full modulating fire burner. This will save both fuel and duty cycles on the ignition, and gas train system. Propane is a dangerous affair, and while I have run it exclusively on one remote property, I do not care for it. The fact that is is heavier than air changes a major lot in a Technicians approach. Any shade tree or cut corner maneuvers will get you in trouble, double quick. Some of these types of situations are out there ticking like time bombs right now. There are a number of good boiler threads on this forum which should be read.