FDA requested a brittles policy

Whitney

We just had our FDA inspection and it was less than pleasant to say the least. The inspector said we needed a brittles policy because we use glass bottles and I can't seem to find one for distilleries. Any help or direction would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, Whitney said:

We just had our FDA inspection and it was less than pleasant to say the least. The inspector said we needed a brittles policy because we use glass bottles and I can't seem to find one for distilleries. Any help or direction would be appreciated!

There are quite of few examples for generally bottling or packaging plants on line, but not distillery specific, that I could find. It should specifically indicate how glass and brittles are kept out of the processing area except where required, including incidentals by employees; how required glass and brittles are handled and safeguarded, and inspected; how breakage is handled; and the QC with regard to possible contamination of product when processed. In a small distillery, this usually means that ALL product is filtered at the point of bottling, all bottles are cleaned and inspected prior to filling, and protected from contamination; all bottles are filled in a clean area; and filled bottles are inspected for breakage or contamination. The latter is a straightforward processing if you are at a small scale, for example, using something like an Enolmatic, where everything can be filtered and visually inspected at point of bottling by the operator.