Hose/Pipe for Discarding Dunder from Pot

Adam Aloni

There are numerous food grade hoses on the market.  Semperit is one of them.  Important is to ensure that they can withstand process steam as this often dtermines the heavy wall thickness and upper temperature limits.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:16 PM, Silk City Distillers said:

Whatever works, works, just don't use your good hoses for dumping hot stillage/dunder - no sense in beating up a good quality hose with hot/aggressive stillage.

Agreed. I guess I asking what type of hose is both cheap and can withstand the heat...

As a discharge hose, it's going to be subjected to high temperature for very brief periods of time, we're not talking about extended time under pressure at temperature.  Will it degrade the hose faster?  Absolutely, that's why you don't use your good hose, even if it is rated for the temp.

EPDM, Silicone, whatever really.  As long as it's your discharge hose, you don't care if it's food grade either.  Just stay away from cheap PVC hoses.

If your obsessed about the max, top up your still with cold water prior to discharging, you can probably drop your temperature low enough to hit the top end of most common hose types.  Your pipes will probably thank you for it too, since most waste plumbing is not intended for waste so hot.

What length?  Are you in the states?  Discharging mash with solids, or just liquid?  Could probably find you a hose on ebay in a few minutes.

I bought all cheap hoses out of necessity when we first started that weren't rated for high temp. I put a stainless T at the outlet of the still, and a cold water hose on one end of the T to cool the stillage while I drained it.

That being said, I think hoses are the under appreciated workhorses of a distillery or brewery, and quality hoses were the first thing I bought the moment I had some extra cash. Vintner's Vault had the best prices I could find.