Checking Final Gravity of Rye Whiskey

Just did a 600 gallon mash of Rye whiskey last week. i checked the gravity with my refractometer and got an OG of 1.065 which will give me a better than 8% ABV when it ferments out all the way. 

Question, Refractometer is only for OG and not FG, this shit is so thick and syrupy, how would you check the gravity to insure your starting abv?

Hydrometer, you might need to strain or settle prior to measurement.  We turn off the mixer in the mash tun and let it settle for a little bit, and usually skim off enough of the clear liquid "floating" on top to measure.

In a pinch, you can measure your final gravity with a refractometer, assuming you have an accurate measure of the starting gravity.  You'll need to find an online calculator to do the conversion for you, and it'll ask for both starting and current gravity.  It's not necessarily the most accurate approach, but will give you an idea of the overall trend during fermentation.  Or look at how active the fermentation is and taste it if you don't want to do with the glass floaty approach.

thanks Silk City, i remember reading you writing that rye lies once before. i will try turning off the agitators in the fermenters but they only go about 5 rpms not sure how much difference that will make. i do have a snap 51 digital hydrometer that also measures density just not sure it is correct, but showing 1.008 cm3 which i would say is about done been six days

yeah , not thrilled about using the snap for this either, but so thick and soupy i dont know how to get a good reading otherwise. even after running it through a mesh filter it is still really thick. fermentation has slowed way down but still bubbling about every five seconds. i wonder if i put it in a fridge would it help solids to drop to bottom for clearer check?