Tuesday Morning Insurance Tidbit - RIOT & CIVIL UNREST

InsuranceMan

Hello fellow ADI-goers,

I write today’s installment of the Tuesday Morning Insurance Tidbit (TMIT) with a heavy heart.  A heart that goes out to all of those throughout not only our country, but the world.  As we all know, these last several days have seen unprecedented acts of brutality, destruction, loss of life, loss of property, loss of respect, and in many ways, loss of humanity on several fronts.

I am not here to pull out a political soapbox, nor am I here to take sides or debate any of the situations gripping our nation and the world.  Rather I am here to provide information, as I always do, in regard to all thing’s insurance.

We all are keenly aware of the civil unrest that has taken hold in many of the communities in which we work, live, and have established businesses.  The chaos and destruction are nothing short of abhorred and my heart goes out to those effected by these actions.  Of course, in these times, insurance is probably not at the top of peoples minds in the face of wondering if your business may be destroyed, looted, or burned to the ground.  However, it is at the top of many distillers’ minds.

In the last few days, I have answered no less than two dozen phone calls and emails pertaining to questions involving insurance and riots.  From those of you who are not in the “hot-zones” per se but are looking for answers, to one of my dear friends who literally has an ANTIFA rally happening directly in front of his building as I write this article.  Panicked (obviously), scared, and trying to remove as much of anything highly flammable from the building as possible, he too called me to ask about his insurance coverage.

To the point as to not waste time, MOST policies (you always have to read the policy language to make 100% certain) do contain RIOT coverage.  If your PROPERTY policy, or the PROPERTY section of your policy is written on a “Special Causes of Loss” form, then chances are you have coverage.  Again, READ THE POLICY.  If you cannot find it or do not know what to look for, SEND IT TO ME AND I WILL READ IT FOR YOU!!! 

In the property section of your policy, hidden deep in the “insurance-ese” language, buried in the “CP” form you will find a DEFINITIONS section.  This is where you need to be looking.  In that section there is a “SPECIFIED CAUSES OF LOSS” that lists off all of the covered causes of loss for your policy.  Within that definition, if you have the coverage that you should have, you will see that “ … riot or civil commotion …” is listed.  WHEW!!! 

If you are struggling to find this area, or you just don’t know if it is there, or if you are just too frazzled to figure it out, I , InsuranceMan 2.0!!! will gladly assist you in whatever way that I can.  Even if we do not work together (yet), I will gladly offer my superhero services to you and assist you in figuring out if you have this coverage or not in your time of need.

All I ask is this …  take some time to embrace those that you love, phone up (DON’T TEXT!!!) old friends and family to check in, stop and say a prayer or send out an ethereal message to the universe (whatever your belief system … it does not matter to me, I don’t care, but anything and everything does help), and know that it is always darkest before the dawn of a fresh new day that brings fresh hope and prosperity.  Until next time dear readers … Stay safe, stay strong, stay the course, and as always ….

Stay Vigilant,

Aaron Linden

a.k.a. InsuranceMan 2.0!!!

(307) 752-5961

aaron@roaringforkins.com    or   insuranceman2.0@yahoo.com