Bottle Rinser

kleclerc77

48 minutes ago, bierling said:

I think if you're concerned about your bottles contaminating your spirit, I'd find a different source of bottles.

Mainly I'm concerned about removing dust and cardboard particles.

Dust and cardboard particles are not contaminates????  Since when.  How about the misted release agent most glass manufactures employ while making the bottle.  How much goes inside the bottle??  How much would be returned to your spirit tank if recirculated back to wash bottles?  Ever hear of bottle taint? 

Strongly consider using a self-contained recirculating bottle washer that uses at least a 5 micron filter not unlike the examples shown above.  

Sounds like the question is whether leaving the cardboard and dust in the spirits would have any deleterious effects on quality. I'll leave that question to the taste testers. But if the goal is to lower the cost of the rinser, I don't think removing the keg and filter would have the desired effect. The keg and the filter aren't big factors in the overall cost of the unit, and since you'd have to add a second pump downstream to pump it'd pretty much be a wash (no pun intended). That said, I've been thinking about it and may have some ideas on things we could do for an economy version…

The idea of any contaminants in the final product - whether it be cardboard/dust/bottle production stuff, after spending years carefully crafting a spirit, is enough reason for us to go with a professional rig. @MichaelAtTCW is always wicked helpful with questions/customer support. We'll be placing an order soon.

• Thumbs up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Just sharing my setup since I used this thread as inspiration. I will be changing out the pan to a stainless one but haven't found the right one yet. My bottles come 6 to a carton so I made one to work with them. I ended up using a Fast Rack commonly used by the home brewing crowd as my holder,  but since my bottles are bit wider than a wine bottle I had to stagger them as pictured. I used all stainless steel 1/2" pipe fittings for the plumbing parts along with poly risers from a drip irrigation system, a stainless chugger pump with filter mounted below my work table, a simple outlet located rocker on/off switch and am using StarSan as my rinse agent.  Here's a few pics and a video of it running. 

PXL_20220917_144047926.jpg

PXL_20220917_144055277.jpg

PXL_20220917_144104172.jpg