approval timeline

ncataldo

what is everyone's experience with federal and state approval times? i'm trying to estimate how much rent i have to swallow before i'm allowed to be a functioning business. i'm opening in southern California but any idea from other areas would be helpful.

I would plan to pay for 12-18 months rent before you open your doors. Also, I would work into any lease an "out" after the first year if the federal, state, or county approvals do not come through.

1 hour ago, 38° said:

I would plan to pay for 12-18 months rent before you open your doors. Also, I would work into any lease an "out" after the first year if the federal, state, or county approvals do not come through.

What 38° says.  We got screwed on the first location we were licensed (TTB) and had to find another lease, then build it out, and just now getting close to opening (Aug). 8 months longer than planned.

It takes twice as long, three times the pain and four times the money.then you anticipate...

Got a floor sink in your building for your three compartment sink that you will need to have to pass the CA health code? That's $4K that I bet isn't a line item in your business plan.

Go visit as many local distilleries that you can, ask questions and learn. Everyone will have stories to tell.

Don't give up. Just be prepared.