Intern @ New Distillery - Looking for SOPs and Book Recs

Hello, 

My name is Erika! I'm an MBA student at the University of New Hampshire (almost done after 3 years of hard work) working at a distillery (in NH) as an intern part-time this summer (I started in May)! I'm really excited to be a part of this community. I'm also looking for some SOPs as part of a project to help build ours out. If anyone is willing to reach out to me and share theirs I would be so grateful. I can share my school email with anyone willing to share with me. I've been helping produce moonshine here (American Whiskey) which will someday be bourbon and work on the online store, help with front of house. It's been really cool. I'm learning a lot and having usually worked in IT, libraries,  and non-profits, it's a bit of a change of pace. 

Looking forward to meeting more folks here and learning more. Any book recommendations would also be appreciated now that I'm about to finish my studies (July 10th). Thanks!

2 hours ago, cats_and_books said:

looking for some SOPs as part of a project to help build ours out

Could you please explain what you want the SOPs on?  I can't imagine it being on mashing, fermenting or distilling since you are working at a distillery.  

For additional background you might want to listen to the podcasts at dalkita.com and read all the back issues of Artisan Spirits  http://artisanspiritmag.com/past-issues/  In both cases the content touches on most aspects of the craft distillery world.

If this is about building and fire codes, I would read everything on the dalkita web site in their blog and then search on this forum for the term AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) and read as many of those posts as you can handle

I'm just looking to see what else others might have (we have our own recipes and process) as a point of reference. I developed FOH (tasting room & retail) processes and new employee info because I worked retail for years so I was very comfortable developing those. I'm looking at BOH (distillery) procedures and developing those out but seeing what else others might have in regards to procedures for BOH essentially which yes could include legal policies and info and also perhaps operations for BOH. We're really looking for a framework that can help point me in the right direction of how to develop these if anyone has done it previously. I did find one in-depth example online, but it was in regards to breweries and not distilleries. Thank you for your help Thatch the resources you shared are great started reading Artisan Spirit!

• 1 month later...

Hi Cats

Welcome to the forum. Two books id reccomend are the alcohol textbook and Whisky Technology production and marketing. Both great detailed books. 

If you need help on any specific SOPs feel free to drop me a line Distillerynow@gmail.com and I can help you out and provide feedback.

Cheers,

---Kris