Activate Charcoal Storage

prcdc

Planning on doing our first charcoal filter with acid washed activate coconut charcoal. We are planning on pumping 300 gallons of vodka at 81 proof vodka through our 3”x36” filter housing with 2x 3” 50 mesh screen gaskets and two 3” to 5/8” hose barb adapters from the bottle up one time.

I can't figure out for the life of me how to store the charcoal once we are finished so we can reuse it. I assume it can be used again. My guess is if we can store it properly every time we run 300 gallons through it we should be able to use it at least 10 times. 

No way we can dump 250$ worth of charcoal each time we run a small batch of vodka. Any info would be amazing! Thanks

ill 3rd that, keep the charcoal wet. Be sure to throughly was the charcoal before you filter vodka through. Tiny particles of charcoal dust will end up in your finished vodka if you dont rinse the charcoal well

• 3 weeks later...

I added two nice stainless ball valves at the top and bottom. Now i am ready to rock! 

Sub question. Could we use the same charcoal for Rum, rinse them use for vodka? or should charcoal only be used for one product then pitch it? Just trying to save some money 😃

• Thumbs up 1