Midwest Distillers Guild

JenniferWilson

Hi all. I've recently been brought on by Robert and Sonat Birnecker of Koval Distillery and Kothe Distilling Technologies to form a Distillers Guild geared towards promoting the common interests of the distilling industry operating in the Midwest: IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, ND, OH, SD, WI. The association's goal is to promote the common interests of small artisan distilleries located throughout those states by organizing lobbying efforts for improved legislation related to craft distilleries.

I know that Robert and Sonat Birnecker have already talked with many of you in the above states and that a lot of you are enthusiastic about forming the Guild. Benefits that could become available to dues paying members of the Guild include:

sharing knowledge about industry standards as they affect small distillery start-ups

sharing costs of advertising with a "buy Midwest" focus

cost savings of coordinated group orders for distilling equipment, supplies and raw materials

organizing and building solidarity to improve laws related to craft distilleries

lobbying for improved legislation related to craft distilleries

group medical insurance

developing a newsletter addressing items of interest to the Midwestern craft distillery community

greater internet presence for Midwestern brands with links to all member websites

forming a network to increase brand awareness, marketing and advertising

My role is to get the ball rolling on the Guild. I'd really like to hear about any ideas, thoughts or concerns you might have in forming the Guild. You can also e-mail me at Jennifer@kothe-distilling.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome.........

Interesting concept. In the past any group or association we've been around which was directly connected to a local vendor or company never succeeded. There needs to be complete seperation of the association from any other established business.

In perspective, a local 'product' dealership got very low responses on promotions as the local business was seen as competition to other such businesses, so they wouldn't support it.

When the maker of the 'product' started doing the sponsership, without mention of the local business, it doubled the turnout, all else being the same.

FWIW- I would be getting the guild off the ground first with a seperate name and address, and no association toward Kothe or Koval. Doesn't matter that you probably have a desk in their office, it's the fact their name is competition to others. Any money you get from 'dues' might also be construed as income for those names, whether that's true or not, it's how it would appear.

Dear Porter,

We are trying to start a guild, not an independent research group.

At Koval Distillery, we know the people around us. We know who is in our business. At the end of the day, microdistilleries are in the same boat. While there is always a bit of competition, I think this is the wrong way to look at it. Brewers guilds, Winemakers guilds and so forth have shown that micros in other industries work well together. Other distillers guilds (CO, NY) also show this.

As for the association with Koval, we have one seat on the board the first year. The other seats are taken by other distilleries. We decided to supply the office space, email account and labor for this venture. I don't think anybody in the guild sees this as a problem.

The name of the guild is Midwest Distillers Guild - no association in name. We will also have our own websites, but these things take time and money.

All the best,

Robert

Robert,

As I said last year, we are on board.

Small distilleries need to band together to get noticed and to increase their marketing clout. Sure there is competition between us, but that is a bit like focusing on a tree and not seeing the forest. It's the big guys, that are our main competition. A company like Diagio or Bacardi will introduce a new brand that will never make it, and sell more of it in one year than the combined sales of all craft distillers.

Stuart

Hi all. I've recently been brought on by Robert and Sonat Birnecker of Koval Distillery and Kothe Distilling Technologies to form a Distillers Guild geared towards promoting the common interests of the distilling industry operating in the Midwest: IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, ND, OH, SD, WI. The association's goal is to promote the common interests of small artisan distilleries located throughout those states by organizing lobbying efforts for improved legislation related to craft distilleries.

I know that Robert and Sonat Birnecker have already talked with many of you in the above states and that a lot of you are enthusiastic about forming the Guild. Benefits that could become available to dues paying members of the Guild include:

sharing knowledge about industry standards as they affect small distillery start-ups

sharing costs of advertising with a "buy Midwest" focus

cost savings of coordinated group orders for distilling equipment, supplies and raw materials

organizing and building solidarity to improve laws related to craft distilleries

lobbying for improved legislation related to craft distilleries

group medical insurance

developing a newsletter addressing items of interest to the Midwestern craft distillery community

greater internet presence for Midwestern brands with links to all member websites

forming a network to increase brand awareness, marketing and advertising

My role is to get the ball rolling on the Guild. I'd really like to hear about any ideas, thoughts or concerns you might have in forming the Guild. You can also e-mail me at Jennifer@kothe-distilling.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

I think any form of participation in an association or guild that promotes awarness and/or looks out for the interests of domestically produced craft spirits is a good thing. The only thing I would like to comment on is you should drop the "Buy Mid-West" slogan and use your guild only as a means to support each other.

By pitching a "buy mid-west" campaign you are separating yourself from craft distillers in other states and bringing on excess competition and perhaps even giving the impression to the consumer and maybe even other distillers that you believe products which were produced in the mid-west are somehow either better or deserve to be chosen over something made in another state by another craft distiller just like you.

While your idea is a good thing and probably not done with the specific intention of competing with us other little guys that go through the same difficulties you do, I fear that excess competition is what you may bring on. As you know, its already hard enough competing with "Big Booze", both domestic and especially imports.

I say either drop the slogan or how about using something like "Buy Craft" and include all craft distillers located within all 50 states.

I know that the craft distillation industry is still in its infancy and I think that domestic craft distillers should continue to work together to compliment each other instead of compete with each other.

So, good luck with the guild. It's a good idea, but I hope you drop or change the slogan. Just my 2 cents.

I understand your thinking, but must respectively disagree. Highlighting regional affiliations helps us all. Yes, a strong push by midwest producers would theoretically hurt west coast producers, but not really. It, in fact, enhances other regional producers by highlighting the uniqueness of regional brands and producers. Other than KY bourbon, can you off the top of your head tell me where the big boys produce their products such as Smirnoff, Skyy, etc? Highlighting regional producers helps all producers that have a local connection. Someone who comes to appreciate my vodka because of its local connection and not because of some Madison Avenue marketing campaign will as some point look to other regional producers. The wine industry has shown this. 30 years ago, wines in this country were mostly brands with little emphases on regional production, now even Gallo hypes where it is produced. As for beer--Sierra Nevada, Samuel Adams BOSTON Lager! As craft distillers, we must push and support each other. I never hesitate to talk up my fellow craft producers when I'm in an account that carries them. The multi-nationals have 90%+ of the market, let's focus on that share and not worry about the rest.

I think any form of participation in an association or guild that promotes awarness and/or looks out for the interests of domestically produced craft spirits is a good thing. The only thing I would like to comment on is you should drop the "Buy Mid-West" slogan and use your guild only as a means to support each other.

By pitching a "buy mid-west" campaign you are separating yourself from craft distillers in other states and bringing on excess competition and perhaps even giving the impression to the consumer and maybe even other distillers that you believe products which were produced in the mid-west are somehow either better or deserve to be chosen over something made in another state by another craft distiller just like you.

While your idea is a good thing and probably not done with the specific intention of competing with us other little guys that go through the same difficulties you do, I fear that excess competition is what you may bring on. As you know, its already hard enough competing with "Big Booze", both domestic and especially imports.

I say either drop the slogan or how about using something like "Buy Craft" and include all craft distillers located within all 50 states.

I know that the craft distillation industry is still in its infancy and I think that domestic craft distillers should continue to work together to compliment each other instead of compete with each other.

So, good luck with the guild. It's a good idea, but I hope you drop or change the slogan. Just my 2 cents.