Spirits Tastings in California??

Napa Valley Distillery

California legislature recently passed AB605. A copy of the bill is available here. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_605&sess=CUR&house=B&author=portantino

The bill, if passed into law, will essentially allow distilled spirits to be tasted in an approved and licensed off-premise location. I had a lengthy conversation with the Santa Rosa ABC about this bill and basically here it is. If you hold a non-retail license in California, which all distillers do, you will be able to conduct tastings at a liquor store ONLY if the liquor store holds the new "tastings" license. We as distillers do nothing. Getting licensed is up to the retailer, which still has to go through investigation and approval for said permit. Once approved for the permit, the retailer cannot do any sort of tastings unless the tastings are conducted by the holder of a non-retail/manufacturing license, such as a distillery or distributor.

If I am misreading this bill, I would appreciate any feedback from the members here. While its seems like pretty good news for craft distillers, unless Im interpreting this bill incorrectly, I think this bill, if passed into law, would really be beneficial for big brand owners and distributors - especially the big ones that represent dozens of brands and can now offer tastings of all those brands at your local BevMo for instance. As you know, these distributors have representatives all over the state and it would be very easy for them to promote and conduct these "tastings" all over the place.

Perhaps this is a little premature to bring up, but if this bill does pass into law, how's about some of us small distillers/rectifiers/distributors in California get together and start something called a "craft distiller tasting tour" which we conduct at various high end stores who hold the tastings license? Might be a good way to combat Big Booze who will no doubt be offering Grey Goose, Bacardi and Johnny Walker tastings all over the state.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Currently what is the law in California for tastings inside the distillery? Can you do tastings to the public inside the distillery? Because what I've heard from the guys up at the Petaluma distillery you CAN NOT, but I know of a California Distillery that does tastings. I won't name names so I don't get anyone in trouble. I believe Hanger One in Alemeda does tastings and charges for them, but I think they are different entities in terms of businesses.

Currently what is the law in California for tastings inside the distillery? Can you do tastings to the public inside the distillery? Because what I've heard from the guys up at the Petaluma distillery you CAN NOT, but I know of a California Distillery that does tastings. I won't name names so I don't get anyone in trouble. I believe Hanger One in Alemeda does tastings and charges for them, but I think they are different entities in terms of businesses.

They guys in Petaluma, who I know very well, are right. Current law does not allow tastings in the distillery to the general public. Industry members are allowed a private tour and taste. You are correct, there are a couple of distilleries that do tastings and I beleive I know exactly who you are talking about and I too wont mention any names. As for Hangar One, I think they have a brandy manufacturers license under their parent company, St George Spirits which allows them to do the tastings, but then I think they would only be able to offer the brandy for tastings. Im pretty sure they offer tastings of all if not most of their spirits and they charge for it, just like a winery. Good for them, but would love to know which license allows them to offer tastings of the vodka, rums, etc. I would for one the next day!

From the way you described it, the retailer would have to get a separate tasting license for each producer/wholesaler? If so, definitely favors big chains and big wholesalers. Your Their lobbyists at work.

No, I meant just one tasting license per location. But they cannot do anything with it. Spirits must be served by a non-retail licensee, like distillers, etc.. Nothing to stop Big Booze to help these stores get licensed, pay for the fees and then work out an exclusive agreement to only taste their products.

Dont get me wrong, I think we can benefit, but you are right... this bill was created more for the big guys then it was for us or the general public. 99% of the alcohol sold in California is produced outside California. If they really cared about manufacturing in California and the interest of the consumers, they would allow us to operate tasting rooms and sell direct to the consumer, just like in so many other states.

Who knows, now that non-retail alcohol manufacturing licensess are growing in California, maybe that will change.

• 4 months later...

They guys in Petaluma, who I know very well, are right. Current law does not allow tastings in the distillery to the general public. Industry members are allowed a private tour and taste. You are correct, there are a couple of distilleries that do tastings and I beleive I know exactly who you are talking about and I too wont mention any names. As for Hangar One, I think they have a brandy manufacturers license under their parent company, St George Spirits which allows them to do the tastings, but then I think they would only be able to offer the brandy for tastings. Im pretty sure they offer tastings of all if not most of their spirits and they charge for it, just like a winery. Good for them, but would love to know which license allows them to offer tastings of the vodka, rums, etc. I would for one the next day!

It is legal to have a tasting room at a California distillery:

23363.1 - (A) A distilled spirits manufacturer's license authorizes the licensee to conduct tastings of distilled spirits produced or bottled by, or produced and bottled for, the licensee, on or off the licensee's premises.

Note - we do not charge for the tastings - we charge to purchase a glass which the customer keeps. We offer a complimentary taste of any spirit without purchase of the glass.

Do you have to have a brandy license to do this? I thought that was the only way to have tastings? I would tend to believe St. George as I've been to and have tasted at their distillery many times.

It is legal to have a tasting room at a California distillery:

23363.1 - (A) A distilled spirits manufacturer's license authorizes the licensee to conduct tastings of distilled spirits produced or bottled by, or produced and bottled for, the licensee, on or off the licensee's premises.

Note - we do not charge for the tastings - we charge to purchase a glass which the customer keeps. We offer a complimentary taste of any spirit without purchase of the glass.

• 2 weeks later...

No its different with a Brandy Makers license.

As i understand it:

- With a DSP: you are allowed to taste the public on your products (that you cannot sell direct) in your tasting room

- With a Brandy Makers License: you are NOT allowed to taste the public on the products, but you are allowed to let them smell it, and you are allowed to sell anything made from fruit directly to the public