Mash Tun Recomendations

Lenny

I'm looking for a solution for a 3-5 bbl mash tun on a budget. Nothing fancy — Doesn't need to be jacketed (likely going for a single infusion. I figured a dairy tank of some sort would be the best option but I'm not terribly familiar with the brands/styles that are out there. In my limited experience and understanding, I'm thinking I'd like to shoot for something more on the squat side that tall with a flat'ish bottom to facilitate a well placed false bottom. I plan on mashing barley, wheat and rye and lautering in the same vessel. Anyone have any recommendations on what I might want to look for and where i might want to look? I've snooped around the probrewer classifieds for a while now and haven't turned up squat. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

Dairy Engineering here in Denver. They can refab used tanks for you, and add screens or jackets or impellers for you. Great place, and their sales engineers actually know what they're talking about. They've been handling the Denver beer and dairy scene for many moons. What's great for you is that you can avoid the shipping costs by picking something up yourself. I'd recommend a site visit to peruse their yard----which is full of tanks----and tell them what you need, and they'll work up a quote.

Ager Tanks is good, too, for used equipment.

It's tough to find standalone mash/lauter combos on the market because they're usually sold as complete brewhouses.

Cheers.

I'm looking for a solution for a 3-5 bbl mash tun on a budget. Nothing fancy — Doesn't need to be jacketed (likely going for a single infusion. I figured a dairy tank of some sort would be the best option but I'm not terribly familiar with the brands/styles that are out there. In my limited experience and understanding, I'm thinking I'd like to shoot for something more on the squat side that tall with a flat'ish bottom to facilitate a well placed false bottom. I plan on mashing barley, wheat and rye and lautering in the same vessel. Anyone have any recommendations on what I might want to look for and where i might want to look? I've snooped around the probrewer classifieds for a while now and haven't turned up squat. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

you could look here for a used kettle....fab a floor grate system...http://www.aaronequipment.com/UsedEquipment/Kettles/Stainless+Steel+Kettles.html

there are a couple other used equipment sites out there

B