From the UK

Hi,

I'm from the UK. There's very little by way of micro distilleries over here. It is not a very British thing to aspire to.

Happily, I'm not very British, and I aspire to it! Are there any Britons on these forums? I do realize that this is an Ameri-centric forum, and quite right.

About me; I am currently dancing around the idea of distillation as a career. It is daunting because there is so much to learn, and so few ways to learn it outside of time and experience. In the UK it is even more difficult because we are definitely a "can't do" society, which is a shame.

I am vaguely considering the courses at the International Centre for Brewing and Distilling (ICBD) in Scotland. Has anyone heard anything about them?

Ideally I would like to learn on the job. I am currently a craftsman by trade (metalworker) and believe that experience based learning cannot be overestimated. Unfortunately jobs in the smaller distilleries that I would be interested in are rare as hen's teeth.

-Dan

Hi,

I'm from the UK. There's very little by way of micro distilleries over here. It is not a very British thing to aspire to.

Happily, I'm not very British, and I aspire to it! Are there any Britons on these forums? I do realize that this is an Ameri-centric forum, and quite right.

About me; I am currently dancing around the idea of distillation as a career. It is daunting because there is so much to learn, and so few ways to learn it outside of time and experience. In the UK it is even more difficult because we are definitely a "can't do" society, which is a shame.

I am vaguely considering the courses at the International Centre for Brewing and Distilling (ICBD) in Scotland. Has anyone heard anything about them?

Ideally I would like to learn on the job. I am currently a craftsman by trade (metalworker) and believe that experience based learning cannot be overestimated. Unfortunately jobs in the smaller distilleries that I would be interested in are rare as hen's teeth.

-Dan

Hi Dan,

I am an American distiller and I received my credentials from the Institute of Brewing & Distilling in London. They offer a General Certificate of Distilling (four-hour examination) and a Graduate Diploma of Distilling (in modules). I hold both, and I highly recommend the coursework. You can even attend externally and take the examination at your local school or college after reviewing the study materials that they will send to you. Quite affordable, too! What about combining your metal-smithing with distillation and build small stills for the industry?

Send off a note whenever you'd like to "talk shop!"

All the best,

Rusty

Hi,

I'm from the UK. There's very little by way of micro distilleries over here. It is not a very British thing to aspire to....

Hi Dan,

I don't know where in the UK you are located, but if you are convenient to Jersey, you should get in touch with the guys from La Mare Wine Estate. As well as running the winery, they also run a Chocolaterie, restaurant and, yes, a distillery. Dan is the distiller there, and a really nice guy.

Todd

Hi Dan,

First check your liquor manufacturing laws to see what the requirements/limitations are for micro distilleries. There might be quite a few requirements that make it difficult to license your micro distillery.

Thanks for the replies, Gents.

GMB, I don't think there are regulations that would specifically obstruct a micro distillery, but micro distilleries are rare enough, and the urge to start one up considered strange enough, to make things difficult.

Palmetto coast, thanks for the heads up. I will get in touch with him.

-Dan

Hi Dan P.

I have been informed that the smallest still permitted in the UK is 5000 liters of boiler capacity, which hardly qualifies as a micro distillery. If that regulation has been changed, the opportunities are extremely attractive.

The regulation that I am aware of is that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs may refuse a license to a distillery whose largest still has a capacity of less than 18 hectolitres, which is definitely not micro! (http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000245&propertyType=document#P59_3526)

This does not mean that they necessarily will. I am aware of a number of Scotch distilleries with smaller stills, and I believe there is one here in London that has a 300l still, although it is possible that they are operating under a rectifiers licence.

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...