Gin Maceration Proof

Cutty

Hello All,

When producing Gin, using the maceration/distillation process, what is the impact of solvent proof on the quality of the final distillate? I would assume the degree of extraction, of individual compounds, will be affected by the proof, owing to the relative solubilities of given compounds to water or ethanol (e.g. salts have a higher solubility in water compared to ethanol, and therefore would be extracted to a greater extent in a low proof solvent compared to a high proof). Obviously salts would be inconsequential as they wouldn't come over in the distillation, but the same concept must hold true for other compounds that are volatile enough to come over. Maybe an add-on to my question should be; Are there any flavor and aroma compounds that can be effected by the proof of the maceration liquor?

Cheers, Ian

Hello All,

When producing Gin, using the maceration/distillation process, what is the impact of solvent proof on the quality of the final distillate? I would assume the degree of extraction, of individual compounds, will be affected by the proof, owing to the relative solubilities of given compounds to water or ethanol (e.g. salts have a higher solubility in water compared to ethanol, and therefore would be extracted to a greater extent in a low proof solvent compared to a high proof). Obviously salts would be inconsequential as they wouldn't come over in the distillation, but the same concept must hold true for other compounds that are volatile enough to come over. Maybe an add-on to my question should be; Are there any flavor and aroma compounds that can be effected by the proof of the maceration liquor?

Cheers, Ian

I cant answer for anyone else.. but we do all of our macerations at high proof. Even an overnight soak gives us a great extraction and is quite time efficient.

I have been macerating at 40% ABV. I think this gets me a good extraction of both alcohol and water soluble components. It also allows me to smell or taste the macerate along the way without having to dilute it, or just dilute with additional 40% ABV. It may also be a "gentler" approach, since high proof alcohol will tend to "dry out" the botanicals and cause further cell wall disruption. That might be a good thing if you are going for maximum extraction, but could be a bad thing in that you might extract more of the less volatile or diffusive components.

• 4 weeks later...