Lid / Closure Seal Compatibility with Alcohol

Vokurka

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what kind of seal I need to use.

I need a jar lid (think mason jar, but it's not for moonshine). Most of the ones on the market (ole smoky, Georgia shine, junior Johnson) all seem to have a plastisol type seal on their jar lids, but I've been told from multiple sources that plastisol is not compatible with alcohol.

Anybody know what type of seal those jars lids are using?

My other option is pulp and polyethylene, but it has a totally different appearance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I need a jar lid (think mason jar, but it's not for moonshine). Most of the ones on the market (ole smoky, Georgia shine, junior Johnson) all seem to have a plastisol type seal on their jar lids, but I've been told from multiple sources that plastisol is not compatible with alcohol.

My other option is pulp and polyethylene, but it has a totally different appearance.

Thanks!

People in the market use loop heat srink

Hi all,

Thanks!

The seal under a cap or lid is known as the 'wadding' in the trade. You should avoid foam (plastisol), styrene, poly seals for direct contact with beverage alcohol, especially if its a large diameter closure. Most suppliers offer a aluminium foil on poly/styrene. There are some mylar filmed wads available, but they tend to get expensive. Try for aluminium foil, there is nothing better.

rich..

Hey,

Most Mason jars have a GPI finish with a glass profiled thread. There are many instances where plastic closures are made with a common thread to both glass and plastic and will be able to accomodate. I tried a 1000ml mason jason at my home, and that cap finish does work. In many cases, standard cap manufacturers will have this neck finish as a regularly produced item. Please give me a call at 514-234-1503, and I can help you get some samples for testing. Also, with repsect to the liner, a standard EPE-400 foma liner is commonly used.

regards,

Attila